Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Temperature on the egg

Options
Hi all.... I got my egg about 2 months ago, and recently fired it up for the first time a few weeks ago.  I have probably done 5 or so cooks and had a few questions.  First off, it seems my temperature gauge is a good 75 degrees off, is there a way to re-calibrate it?  Lastly, I seem to be having a lot of trouble getting the temp up to the 600 range.  The highest I have been able to go is 400, and it that took a good hour or hour and a half.  I basically load it up with charchol, and put two big green egg liter squares in there.  I keep the lid open for 10 min, then close it, open the bottom vent full and take off the top cap.  It will clime to 600, but when I put the wheel back on the top it goes down to 300 fast.  I'll let it sit there for 30 min, go open it up and I have a blazing fire, but still not gaining temp.  Any suggestions?

Thanks

Kansas City, Missouri
Large Egg
Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    First things first. 

Boil some water and put your thermometer in it, then twist the nut until it reads 212 (or whatever the temp is based on your altitude)
    Options
    Follow nolaegghead directions first and then check your air holes (5-6 small hoes near the bottom) in the fire box.  Make sure those are clear.  Mine always get chunks of lump stuck in them and will restrict air flow to get your temps higher.  I check those and clean them out before I cook.

Champlin, MN

LBGE - August, 2013

• corey24
    corey24 Posts: 386
    Options

Also to attain the higher temps you will have to flip open the little door on the daisy wheel. Or take the daisy cap off all together.

XL Egg Owner Since Dec 2013 - Louisiana

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    +1 on what dulax says. Also make sure you are stirring the charcoal prior to adding new and avoid getting any dust/shake in the fire box. The charcoal dust clogs up the air flow.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Make the firebox and vent are aligned properly
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    buy or make a wiggle rod to make sure the holes in the fire grate aren't blocked.

For most cooks, you don't need the DFMT. I use mine only for low and slow cooks.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• BuckeyeBob
    BuckeyeBob Posts: 673
    Options
    For any cooks above 350 or so, you don't necessarily have to use the Daisy Wheel but rather can manage the temp with the lower vent only. Does sound like the thermometer is an issue to me though.
    Clarendon Hills, IL
  • stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    Options
    I've had the same problem. Check air flow issues. My biggest air flow impedance comes from crappy lump. Not necessary the brand, but some pieces that compact and restrict air flow. Some things I've found is by reducing the amount of lump for fast high temp cooks helps tremendously. Never have a problem with the long cooks when the lump is all piled up tightly, just when trying to get hot temps.
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • mimauler
    mimauler Posts: 136
    Options
    Are you using lump charcoal?
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    Options
    henapple said:
    Make the firebox and vent are aligned properly
    What @henapple said.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.