Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Dry Aged Bone In Ribeye

Going to pick up 2 16-20 oz 1-1 1/2" thick from whole foods tomorrow for Sat cook! going to do reverse sear...cook at 250 indirect. how long do you think it would take to reach 125 IT?

then bump up to 600 or so to sear for about 90 seconds!

I don't cook steaks a lot so searching for advice on time to get to 125 IT?

Thanks in advance for any info you could pass along!
Brandon, MS

Comments

• Chris_Wang
    Chris_Wang Posts: 1,254
    A couple handful of minutes... Do you have a thermapen?

Ball Ground, GA

ATL Sports Homer

• loveTheEgg
    loveTheEgg Posts: 573
    A couple handful of minutes... Do you have a thermapen?
    I do! and will check temp but wanted to try to time it pretty close!
    Brandon, MS
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    edited April 2014
    Please don't be offended, but 1 -1 1/2" dry aged steaks are going to cook VERY FAST! The temp and time you asked about means they will be charred! I'd go for a 1 hour hot tub instead and then just a quick high temp sear!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • loveTheEgg
    RRP said:
    Please don't be offended, but 1 -1 1/2" dry aged steaks are going to cook VERY FAST! The temp and time you asked about means they will be charred! I'd go for a 1 hour hot tub instead and then just a quick high temp sear!
    no offense at all! Thanks for the info! I have never cooked one so i wanted to get all the info I could!

Thank you!
    Brandon, MS
  • RRP
    Then may I add this little bit more? If your meat was dry aged and it was that thin it tells me it probably was "aged" after it was cut with a butcher's bone saw meaning it wasn't really aged for too long. Did they tell you how long or just advertise as "aged"? Trust me it makes a BIG difference!
  • loveTheEgg
    RRP said:
    Then may I add this little bit more? If your meat was dry aged and it was that thin it tells me it probably was "aged" after it was cut with a butcher's bone saw meaning it wasn't really aged for too long. Did they tell you how long or just advertise as "aged"? Trust me it makes a BIG difference!
    Good question! last weekend I was in Whole foods and they had all of there dry aged beef in a unit behind the counter and they were advertising dry aged beef on sale for 8.99 pound so I thought I would go back this Sat and get me a couple bone in ribeye. I would think it is dry aged! I guess i could tell them to cut it as thick as i want it! I think 1 1/2" would be thick enough for me! thanks for the info!
    Brandon, MS
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    I'm certain it was aged as a sub-prime then trimmed and cut after whatever time 27-45 days.  I've never seen anyone dry age individual steaks except maybe Stike as a science experiment (he loves to eat rotten meat).
    btw-that's a crazy cheap price for dry aged steak!
    Our Harris teeter has a dry age display with all kinds of stuff in it. All of which is noted as "ready" soon. I'm hoping to get a butcher on a good day and offer to take their "expired" meat off their hands for $1/lbs.
    Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

• johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,546
    Our Harris teeter has a dry age display with all kinds of stuff in it. All of which is noted as "ready" soon. I'm hoping to get a butcher on a good day and offer to take their "expired" meat off their hands for $1/lbs.
    I also live in GSO and have a great relationship with Chris at the New York Butcher shop North Elm Street. He has some killer meat and will work with you on any request. He also does dry age..Fantastic place..
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • Grillmagic
    Grillmagic Posts: 1,600
    If you cook it to 125 it will climb to 130/132 while it rest to get up to 600 and you will be lucky to keep it Medium? I'm a rare to medium rare guy and I would pull it at 110/115 the open the egg to 600 then sear for 60/90 seconds a side to 130 max then let it rest. Good cow right there!
    Charlotte, Michigan XL BGE
  • MaskedMarvel
    MaskedMarvel Posts: 3,136
    I also live in GSO and have a great relationship with Chris at the New York Butcher shop North Elm Street. He has some killer meat and will work with you on any request. He also does dry age..Fantastic place..
    Went by just two days ago for the first time - I was given a gift cert by my coworkers.  Packers there!  :)

Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

• RRP
    btw-that's a crazy cheap price for dry aged steak!
    yeah - you couldn't touch that around here under $20 a pound and that plus it being a bone in was why I was questioning just how aged it was.