Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Reverse Sear Question - Grate or Cast Iron Skillet?

Hey guys - I have done the reverse sear on steaks a couple of times with great results.  Both times I went indirect at 300 then direct at 650-700ish to finish off.  Previously have finished steaks off on direct grill grate.  I do have a Woo3 with Spider built-in.  I was thinking of either putting cast iron skillet directly on spider or on top of grate at normal level?  Which do you guys think?  Also, when using cast iron do you put anything in the pan for that good crunchy exterior.  I was thinking that any oil or butter would likely burn at 700ish degrees? Thoughts?

Thanks!

XL Egg Owner Since Dec 2013 - Louisiana

Comments

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Butter the steak, melt in the nuke and brush it on before it hits the skillet/grid. Dry the meat to remove any moisture, paper towel works well, then brush with butter. 
    I find the grid gives the results I like best, just a personal preference. (one less thing to clean up)
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    CI pan will give you a better crust but searing right over the coals gives a little different flavor from the dripping fat. Make sure the fire is hot enough or there can be too much smoke which gets acrid.
  • corey24
    corey24 Posts: 386
    I may like the grid better as well, just thought I would try skillet.  Thought I may get a better crust.....

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    It's more of a "steakhouse" crust since they use kajillion degree infrared broilers mostly. I do both, based on mood. 

I used to pan sear the steak inside then finish in the oven. This gives great results but smoke -ifies your house. That's what I'm reminded of on the egg, except I get more flavor from the "reverse" part since I can get a little smoke on the meat.
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited April 2014
    A skillet will provide a better crust.  More surface area is coming into contact with the CI.  Learned along the way, that a nuclear fire and dropping the CI as close to the fire as possible, is not necessary when searing.  Not only does this eliminate the possibility of damaging your skillet(warping/cracking), or reseasoning, you get more consistent results with a lower temp and longer preheat.  With a standard setup with a skillet on the grid, 500-600 along with a 30 min preheat, would be plenty for a nice brown, not burnt sear.  I like to use ghee(clarified butter), very easy to make your own before the cook.  Peanut oil would work as well, due to its higher smoke point.  The milk solids in butter tend to burn rather quickly at these temps, even when adding an oil to inhibit this.  I would avoid it if possible.  All you need is a T of oil/ghee, enough to barely coat the bottom of the skillet.  Then, as it starts to smoke, add the dry protein.   
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• corey24
    corey24 Posts: 386
    Yeah, that's what I was thinking.  My meat would get the smoke flavor from the first part of the cook and the nice crust from the finish......

• Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited April 2014

Using the skillet as the indirect barrier during the first stage would help.  Pull the top grid, hold steak, bump up the temp to sear. 

I've preheated the skillet over the cooktop and in a 500 degree oven, then added to a hot egg.

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."