Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Wife's away so I can play! (Ribeye reverse sear)

My wife went over to a friends house the other night so I decided if I was going to be left at home that I'd reward myself with a nice steak. Went to the store and bought a nice 1 3/4 inch to 2in ribeye. I thought that since I typically go for a nice grilled char mark on the finished product that I would try something different and try my hand at the elusive reverse sear. I've never attempted this method before and for a first time I was pleased with the results. The quality of the meat that I got was not what I was expecting but I know better for next time. lol. Hope you guys enjoy.
Demorest, Ga.    1MBGE

Comments

• thetrimthetrim Posts: 4,925
    Looks like you perfected it.  You are a GO at this station
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • SoCalTimSoCalTim Posts: 2,151
    Perfect! What temp did you grill to? How long did you sear?
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • I did indirect at 350 till my internal was at 105 flipping over at 90 IT. Then I pulled the plate setter and let the egg get to around 600 with a cast iron pan on the grate. rubbed a little oil on the steak and put it in the hot pan to sear about 1 min 15 secs on each side and then pulled and let rest while I fixed the potato and salad (about 3-5mins) It was spot on at medium.
    Demorest, Ga.    1MBGE
  • FockerFocker Posts: 7,821

Even inverted, it looks perfect, nicely done.

Tell me about the Shun?  6" Santoku? 

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• SoCalTimSoCalTim Posts: 2,151
    It looks fantastic! I'm gonna attempt one this weekend.
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • cazzycazzy Posts: 9,058
    Nailed it!
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • EggcelsiorEggcelsior Posts: 13,959
    Focker said:

Even inverted, it looks perfect, nicely done.

Tell me about the Shun?  6" Santoku? 

It looks like the Hiro or Premier chefs knife.
    Haven't knife shopped in a while.  Must be true (and not clad) damascus if Hiro or Premier?
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• johnmitchelljohnmitchell Posts: 4,594
    Looks fantastic that salad looks lonely amongst that great steak and tattie... 
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 26,331

Focker said:
    Haven't knife shopped in a while.  Must be true (and not clad) damascus if Hiro or Premier?
    The real "Damascus Steel" isn't made anymore - the techniques are lost to the ages.  The pattern is simulated with a technique called "pattern welded" Damascus.  The Shuns use some type of metal lamination with something really hard (and brittle) in the center, like a VG10 alloy. That combination allows them to sharpen to 16 degrees, versus the European 22. 

edited April 2014

Interesting,  the only differences between the classic and premier other than price, are cosmetic.(Tsuchime, logo placement, and handle)

http://shunclassic.org/

Brandon
    Quad Cities

• Dyal_SCDyal_SC Posts: 4,691
    Mmm...... Nicely done!
  • Thanks for all the great compliments guys! I'm working the next 5 so my cooks will just have to wait till the middle of next week! It's actually the Fuji collection and it's a 6'' chef.
    Demorest, Ga.    1MBGE
  • PNWFoodiePNWFoodie Posts: 1,046
    Looks yummy! How did you do the sear?
    XL, JR, and more accessories than anyone would ever need near Olympia, WA
    Sandy
  • I did the sear in a 10" Lodge cast iron skillet.
    Demorest, Ga.    1MBGE