Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First rib eyes using TRex method

Options
Dulax43
Dulax43 Posts: 18

So after reading all the information on this site regarding different methods on how to cook thick cuts of meat on the BGE, I had my wife pick up two 2" rib eyes from her new favorite butcher shop (organic, grass fed, free range, yada, yada, yada).  Below is a pic before doing anything to them.

I seasoned with EVOO, kosher salt, and pepper.  Pic below.

I got the LBGE up to ~900 degrees (I think because it went past the maximum temp on my dome thermometer) and seared for 60 secs on both sides.  Took off and closed off both top and bottom vents to bring the temp back down to 400 degrees.  I put back on after 20 minutes and cooked for 5 min on first side, flipped, and then used thermapen to check until it read 125 internal temp.  Let it rest for 5 min and then dug in.  Below is the finished product.

When we cut into it the steak was medium and not medium rare that I was going for and I was a little disappointed.  How is it possible since I pulled off at 125 internal temp?  I don't have a pic of cut piece to share, but looking to learn for the next time. 

Thanks

Champlin, MN

LBGE - August, 2013

Comments