Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

RRP's Papa Murphy Pizza Dough Recipe Experiment

Options
QDude
QDude Posts: 1,052
Ron posted a message a few days ago about using leftover dough for bread.  The recipe was a revised version of the Papa Murphy's pizza crust using King Arthur's bread flour.

I thought that I would try two variations of the recipe, one using the King Arthur flour and the other using the expensive Italian flour, Antimo Caputo 00.  I always wondered if the extra expense for the Italian flour was worthwhile. The results were interesting.

The King Arthur bread flour made a very good thin crust pizza which was almost crispy.  It rolled out very easy.  My guests for dinner judged that it was very good and it would be difficult for the other flour to beat it.  This pie came off the XL first.

The 00 flour produced an even better result though.  It also rolled out very easy.  The difference though was that the crust of this flour was almost "airy" or fluffier.

Both pizzas were great but the expensive flour made a somewhat better crust in my opinion. 

Northern Colorado Egghead since 2012.

XL BGE and a KBQ.

Comments

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    QDude said:
    Ron posted a message a few days ago about using leftover dough for bread.  The recipe was a revised version of the Papa Murphy's pizza crust using King Arthur's bread flour.

I thought that I would try two variations of the recipe, one using the King Arthur flour and the other using the expensive Italian flour, Antimo Caputo 00.  I always wondered if the extra expense for the Italian flour was worthwhile. The results were interesting.

The King Arthur bread flour made a very good thin crust pizza which was almost crispy.  It rolled out very easy.  My guests for dinner judged that it was very good and it would be difficult for the other flour to beat it.  This pie came off the XL first.

The 00 flour produced an even better result though.  It also rolled out very easy.  The difference though was that the crust of this flour was almost "airy" or fluffier.

Both pizzas were great but the expensive flour made a somewhat better crust in my opinion. 
    If you liked that, you will love it if you hand stretch instead of rolling it. You are killing all the benefits of 00 flour when you roll it. It's not even a fair fight when you hand stretch (or toss it but I can't do that yet). There is a marked difference between AP (All Purpose) and 00 flour when you handle them the right way- I hesitate to say "right way" because there is nothing wrong with rolling if that's what you like to do. I should really say the "traditional way". Anyhow- the traditional way allows the true character of the flour to shine- that is light, airy, crisp, and chewy.

I'll never go back!

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • TheShaytoon
    TheShaytoon Posts: 420
    Options
    I actually mix about 1/3 of the OO flour with the KArthur bread flour when making pizza crust.

I always do the stretch and toss method, and the results are incredible. The OO adds more crisp, while the KA lets is be "chewy". 

I used to only use the OO, but the crust would be too crisp, almost more of a flatbread pizza.  

Try it, it's like the best of both worlds....

350g of King Arthur
    150g of OO
    1 tablespoon yeast
    18g of salt
    350g of water

Mix...let sit for at least 6 hours at room temp...form the dough into a ball, flour a wooden surface; stretch and pull into a "pie".  

I make mine in the OVEN, usually at 550 for 6 minutes.  after 4 minutes, turn off the bottom and crank the broiler on...

I have a very hard time engaging in passive relaxation. Twitter.Instagram.
    Dallas, TX

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    @TheShaytoon‌...thanks for the share. I'll try this next. Already have 6 frozen dough balls for next pizza cook. But, will be trying it for sure. How does that recipe do on high temp 650F-750F? Don't see sugar etc so I would think it world be eggrific!
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • TheShaytoon
    Options
    I stopped adding the sugar and the oil that most recipes call for a long time ago...so I don't know.  

@NPHuskerFL I do have a questions for you dough (see what I did there?); how do you defrost your frozen dough? Everyway I try to do it, it takes it hours, and even then the texture does not come out right...

Dallas, TX

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    edited April 2014
    Options

I stopped adding the sugar and the oil that most recipes call for a long time ago...so I don't know.  

@NPHuskerFL I do have a questions for you dough (see what I did there?); how do you defrost your frozen dough? Everyway I try to do it, it takes it hours, and even then the texture does not come out right...

First off > when I make the dough I scale & divide into my dough balls and if I'm freezing them to use another day I coat each one with EVOO and cellophane wrap each ball individually and then place into freezer bag. To defrost I pull from freezer and place into refrigerator to dft (takes 2-3days). When I want to use it I pull and let dough prove. Then make pies as normal. Hope that helps.

LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • TheShaytoon
    Options
    @NPHuskerFL Yeah that does help...

I think it is just as easy to make the dough in the morning while the coffee is being brewed...and just let it sit while at the office or the lake.  

If you use a scale, you can measure the ingredients, mix it up with a wooden spoon, and cover it in less than 5 minutes.  

And it is already at room temperature when you are ready to cook it!

Thanks for the response!

Dallas, TX

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,096
    Options
    Gem
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    Did Husker start his own forum?
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,977
    Options
    Legume said:
    Nah I think he just accidentally cut all of his own fingers off.  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,096
    Options
    Legume said:
    He peaced out.  I still talk to him every now and again, but he mostly sticks to instagram and stuff.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    Legume said:
    He peaced out.  I still talk to him every now and again, but he mostly sticks to instagram and stuff.
    that’s boring, I’m going with John’s answer
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,896
    Options
    Good thing I’m headed to bed since I’m seeing my name mentioned way too often in a slew of VERY old threads!

Perhaps I p*ssed off people or maybe I even helped some eggers along the way….I just have other issues to deal with tonight rather than to read through them! 

So here is my blanket apology, if needed…sorry…I tried…
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    RRP said:
    Good thing I’m headed to bed since I’m seeing my name mentioned way too often in a slew of VERY old threads!

Perhaps I p*ssed off people or maybe I even helped some eggers along the way….I just have other issues to deal with tonight rather than to read through them! 

So here is my blanket apology, if needed…sorry…I tried…
    No apology necessary! You were killing it in 2012 and you still are. The papa Murphy bumps are hilarious. This place is nuts. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX