Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Engel 30 Qt dry box and cooler at Sam's

Options
Picked one up for $44 today. Seems that is a decent price. It's pretty much between $60 and $70 most everywhere else. 

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I bought one of those from woot.com at the same price.  It's very nice, excellent for FTC, since it's air-tight (has a gasket), it looses very little heat.  Also, very compact for the internal volume.
    Options
    Damn, I was just there today. Is this a Yeti attempt?
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    edited April 2014
    Options
    I'm going tomorrow and they are in stock. Is this a good price? Edit: googled and that's about 20$ off

XLBGE 
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    They're perfect cambros.  Very light, well made, water and air tight.  Look cool.  I used mine a couple weeks ago to take a brisket to work.  Cleans up easy too. 
    edited April 2014
    Options
    henapple said:

These guys have been around a long time. Maybe longer than Yeti. They smoked Yeti in a "how many days for ice to melt cooler test" I saw on here (I think).
  • hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    Options
    Might have to check this out... Just joined Sam's a few weeks ago
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    This isn't like a Yeti or Pelican that holds ice for 10 days.  The insulation isn't as thick.  But it's got a gasket.  10 times better than a non-gasket cooler in keeping food cold or warm, especially warm because hot air rises and leaks out the top of a regular cheapo cooler.
    This isn't like a Yeti or Pelican that holds ice for 10 days.  The insulation isn't as thick.  But it's got a gasket.  10 times better than a non-gasket cooler in keeping food cold or warm, especially warm because hot air rises and leaks out the top of a regular cheapo cooler.

Yeah- it was the big one that was on the test I saw. This one is thinner for sure. I got it for FTC so I'm good. If a beer and some ice falls in there from time to time, so be it.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    henapple said:
    They were selling a Yeti-clone made by Igloo at Sam's a month or so back. Looked damn near the same, but 5yr warranty. 

If I start filling the garage with coolers to keep the charcoal company, SWMBO is gonna hate you guys.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    caliking said:
    henapple said:
    They were selling a Yeti-clone made by Igloo at Sam's a month or so back. Looked damn near the same, but 5yr warranty. 

If I start filling the garage with coolers to keep the charcoal company, SWMBO is gonna hate you guys.
    I have the bad-mother-fukkah Pelican for those nights were we go out and steal kidneys.  They sell those right now at Costco for a way better price than the Yeti, and IMUHO, with a lifetime warranty, a much better deal.
    Options

caliking said:

henapple said:

I have the bad-mother-fukkah Pelican for those nights were we go out and steal kidneys.  They sell those right now at Costco for a way better price than the Yeti, and IMUHO, with a lifetime warranty, a much better deal.

They sell kidneys at Costco, and with a lifetime warranty? I'll have to keep that in mind, let me know if they start stocking livers, might need a new one soon...
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • caliking
    edited April 2014
    Options
    @nolaegghead - I picked up a Pelican 45 for a good price when a local joint was clearing them out in favor of Yeti's. It was hard to hide the Pelican 45 in the garage... Luckily SWMBO doesn't know how much I spent on a cooler!

• nolaegghead
    Options
    @caliking - yep, I haz that one  I make love to it at least once a week, that's how fabulous it is.  Well, just heavy petting.

It's actually 50 qt.
    Options
    nola - unbeknownst to you, you were part of the reason I bought it. Remembered you extolling the virtues of it, so I jumped on it when the price was good.

Damn the frickin enablers on this forum.

• nolaegghead
    edited April 2014
    Options
    caliking said:
    nola - unbeknownst to you, you were part of the reason I bought it. Remembered you extolling the virtues of it, so I jumped on it when the price was good. Damn the frickin enablers on this forum.
    So did I oversell it or did it live up-to and/or exceed expectations?  BTW, the drain hole on the bottom is too small. ;)
    Options

@caliking - yep, I haz that one  I make love to it at least once a week, that's how fabulous it is.  Well, just heavy petting.

It's actually 50 qt.

Until you said 50qt...I thought you were talking bout your wifey! :P
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    @nolaegghead
    I'm getting one, mainly for milk delivery. I have the green light from SWMBO but I am trying to decide between the 35 or 45 qt. The biggest milk containers are 1/2 gallon like this:

I'll be getting 4 to 6 of them per week and they need to fit with foam-based cold packs that I snagged from work. I may also get cheese, eggs, cream, blah blah blah too, so I might get the dry rack. I'm just afraid the 35 would be too small. I am afraid that I'll need the 65 qt in the end.
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    @Eggcelsior

I'd recommend going for the 65qt.  It doesn't cost much more...I think I saw it at Costco the other day for around $250.  (versus $210 or so for the 45).
    Options
    Is their milk minimally pasteurized?   That ultra pasteurized milk really sucks for cheese making.
    edited April 2014
    Options
    180 for 18 seconds. None of that nearly 300 degree stuff.
  • dougengel
    dougengel Posts: 13
    Options
    shoot... I'm going it have to get one just so I can have my last name on my own cooler!!
    Doug E. Charlotte, NC Cyclist, IPA fan, World Traveler
  • caliking
    Options
    @Eggcelsior - if you end up buying the Pelican 45, a half sheet pan ( it think that's what they are called) fits perfectly, and is much cheaper than the basket. I bought a set of 2 at Costco. If I file/grind  the long edges down a bit, I may be able to fit both pans across the top. I'll try to post pics pnce I get home.

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    @caliking, do you mean 1/4 sheet? Half sheets are 18x13. 
  • caliking
    Options
    @caliking, do you mean 1/4 sheet? Half sheets are 18x13. 
    Maybe I meant a 1/4 sheet. I'll measure when I get home and let you know.

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options

Picked one up for $44 today. Seems that is a decent price. It's pretty much between $60 and $70 most everywhere else. 

Is it any good? I can't find one here.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • nolaegghead
    edited April 2014
    Options
    @caliking @Eggcelsior

Internal dimensions are 19 x 12 x 12"

Cut down half sheet
    Options
    Or just buy a 1/4 sheet. Unless you have one. Like I do. I like to bake.

I like turtles.
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    Options
    their site shows them also as live wells with an aerator. i could use that....hmmmm
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it