Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Spicy Pickled Okra

Got six jars of spicy pickled okra done today. Like the candied jalapenos, this is my first try at this so I only did 2 lbs. of okra. I used a hot thai pepper, some chopped garlic and dill weed in each jar; along with a water/vinegar brine. These will need to sit for a couple of weeks before I try them. Can't wait to garnish a bloody mary with some of these

imageimage
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.

Comments

• Aquacop
    Aquacop Posts: 481
    Yum
    LBGE 2013 Located in Savannah, Georgia
  • cortguitarman
    cortguitarman Posts: 2,061
    Nice. We were just disgusting some summer canning plans today. We are going to try homemade enchilada sauce when tomatoes come in.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,407
    Looks good, you're on a roll John! btw, that pineapple looks ripe enough for grilling!
    canuckland
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Those remind of a product here called Wickles. They are dill pickle slices in a spicy juice with the a couple of red peppers in each jar. Very good and spicy

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Looks good, you're on a roll John! btw, that pineapple looks ripe enough for grilling!
    Was planning to slice that up tonight; not sure if I'll grill it although have done so in the past.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Very nice. Even being in Canada they can't take the Texan away.

"Hold my beer and watch this S##T!"

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.

• TUTTLE871 said:

TUTTLE871 said:

Not a chance my friend.

Looking forward to seeing the Ponies play Tuesday night.
    I see your garden is ahead of mine. I won't have orca for several months. Well, actually never since I have no idea what to do with it or how to grow it.
    Mt Elgin Ontario - just a Large.
  • TUTTLE871
    TUTTLE871 Posts: 1,316
    Pony up!

"Hold my beer and watch this S##T!"

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.

• gmac said:
    I see your garden is ahead of mine. I won't have orca for several months. Well, actually never since I have no idea what to do with it or how to grow it.
    I didn't know you could grow orca! JK We grow a lot of okra here and it is really prolific. You have to pick it almost every day it grows so fast. The 3" pods are best. Don't plant  row of it unless you like to pick a bushel of okra every other day.
    We still have snow on the ground here. That okra came from the grocery store. Until the last year or so you'd only see okra at the store every now and then. Now, they seem to have it all the time. I believe it comes from Mexico.

@1310monster is right about how prolific it can be,
    I love some pickles okra! 
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Fry that stuff up- okra is one of my favorites. Also good with stewed tomatoes over rice.
    Greensboro, NC
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    gmac said:
    I didn't know you could grow orca! JK We grow a lot of okra here and it is really prolific. You have to pick it almost every day it grows so fast. The 3" pods are best. Don't plant  row of it unless you like to pick a bushel of okra every other day.
    We still have snow on the ground here. That okra came from the grocery store. Until the last year or so you'd only see okra at the store every now and then. Now, they seem to have it all the time. I believe it comes from Mexico.

John,

Any Indian market will have okra all year. Best looking stuff I see is in those.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Wolfpack said:
    Fry that stuff up- okra is one of my favorites. Also good with stewed tomatoes over rice.
    Yes, we do fried okra quite often.

John,

Any Indian market will have okra all year. Best looking stuff I see is in those.

They actually have it regularly at our local Sobey's. In fact, I spoke with the produce manager and he's getting me a box (can't remember the size) on Friday. I will doing more pickling this weekend.

Very impressive. That would go nice in a bloddy mary.

@Mattman3969 I had some wickles on the side last night with dinner.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• pantsypants
    pantsypants Posts: 1,191
    That looks great !!

Toronto
  • TheShaytoon
    TheShaytoon Posts: 420
    @texanofthenorth  I saw this post last month, and made a batch too.  Opened the first jar last night. 

They where not bad....maybe a bit too much salt, but not bad...I thought the habanero pepper would add a little more heat...it really didn't.

I have a very hard time engaging in passive relaxation. Twitter.Instagram.
    Dallas, TX

• @TheShaytoon, I'm going to be opening a second jar (a little over a week since I opened the first). I'm wondering if sitting a little longer will have increased the heat level a bit.
    I love pickled okra.  I like to quarter it length-wise and put it on a hot dog.  

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • TheShaytoon
    @TexanOfTheNorthI was able to make two jars, so I am keeping one closed for a couple more weeks...

I was really hoping that they would be HOT!  Like Super HOT.  

Dallas, TX

• @TexanOfTheNorthI was able to make two jars, so I am keeping one closed for a couple more weeks...

I was really hoping that they would be HOT!  Like Super HOT.  
    Might have to open the peppers to expose the seeds and membrane to get super hot.
    So I actually had two typed of peppers in there, I am not sure you can see the other ones...I did split the other peppers.  I should have split the habanero.  

No big deal, practice makes perfect and this stuff is pretty good!

d

Dallas, TX

• Ok. I'll ask. What's the slimmyness factor? This fella don't do slimmy and ocra has got an abundance in that!
    Flint, Michigan
  • GeorgeS
    GeorgeS Posts: 955
    edited April 2014
    @gmac‌ Fry it up! I season some flour (I know grandma I'm sorry but flour is better than cornmeal) with just plain old salt and pepper, cut up the okra and add a little water, it's kinda slimey/sticky anyway but it dries a little if your cutting up a bunch, then cover it in flour and fry it. My kids say it's just like popcorn! The only warning is don't eat too much of it or you will become a fixture on the TB for quite some time.
    Bristow Virginia XL&Mini One of the best feelings in life is watching other people enjoy the food I cooked!
  • TheShaytoon
    HA!  

My wife is the same way...and she didn't think these were "Slimey" at all...

d

Dallas, TX

• Ok. I'll ask. What's the slimmyness factor? This fella don't do slimmy and ocra has got an abundance in that!

@Fred19Flintstone‌ - come up for the eggfest and i'll give you a jar.

@gmac‌ Fry it up! I season some flour (I know grandma I'm sorry but flour is better than cornmeal) with just plain old salt and pepper, cut up the okra and add a little water, it's kinda slimey/sticky anyway but it dries a little if your cutting up a bunch, then cover it in flour and fry it. My kids say it's just like popcorn! The only warning is don't eat too much of it or you will become a fixture on the TB for quite some time.

I fry with a 50/50 mix of flour and cornmeal using an egg wash. I put the sliced okra in a sieve and pour the egg wash over. Then toss the okra in the flour/corn meal mix. Then I repeat those two steps. Let the okra sit for 15-20 minutes and then fry in my deep fryer.
    Hey John, just to let you know we're really enjoying the candied jalapenos, thanks to you!  Great straight up or as condiments!  I can drink the syrup!
    canuckland
  • Hey John, just to let you know we're really enjoying the candied jalapenos, thanks to you!  Great straight up or as condiments!  I can drink the syrup!
    Glad to hear it Gary. Try a spoonful on a scoop of vanilla ice cream sometime!  :P