Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket help

Options
coffeeguydenton
coffeeguydenton Posts: 138
edited March 2014 in EggHead Forum
Put a brisket on late last night, about midnight, hoping to serve to my church home group at 6 pm.  Fire looked good, dome temp sitting at 250 when I went to bed.  Woke up, dome temp was 150.  Fire was still going, which blew my mind.  Opened the vents up and got temp back up to 250, no problems.  But now it's noon and dinner is in 6 hours and we haven't even gotten to the stall yet.  IT is 157 by the Thermapen.  Do I have any hope of serving this thing at 6 without ruining it, and if so what do I need to do?  Or should I just leave it be, let it ride up, and come up with a back-up plan for dinner?

I did go ahead and open the vents a little more.  Was planning on bringing dome temp up to 275, but wanted to avoid going any higher than that.
Justin in Denton, TX

Comments

• grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options
    I see foil in your near future (crutch)
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• pretzelb
    pretzelb Posts: 158
    Options
    You might consider 275 to 300 dome. My grate is about 30 lower than my dome. My 2nd brisket was a failure because I didn't realize this and adjust. But I have only 3 briskets to my name so by all means listen to others before me.
    XL egg owner, home brewer, jogger, coffee roaster, gamer 
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options
    Just bump the temp to 275
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • clweed
    clweed Posts: 70
    Options
    Wrap it and finish it in the oven to be sure it is done on time
  • grege345
    Options
    Let's see where your at when 3:00 comes. Don't panic yet

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Agree. Bump it and check in at 3-4. You will be fine.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • coffeeguydenton
    edited March 2014
    Options
    grege345 said:
    I see foil in your near future (crutch)
    clweed said:
    This is exactly what I am trying to avoid.  I don't want soggy brisket.  Would rather order pizza than that.
    Justin in Denton, TX
  • coffeeguydenton
    Options
    cazzy said:
    Just bump the temp to 275
    Agree. Bump it and check in at 3-4. You will be fine.
    Thanks for the reassurance.  I'll let you know where we are at 3.  164 now.
    Justin in Denton, TX
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    edited March 2014
    Options
    clweed said:

-3. Why finish in the oven when he has a hot egg already?
    @cazzy‌ & @The Cen-Tex Smoker‌ +3 on bump to 275F and hang tight you'll be okay for competition time or at least real close. Pics to follow :-).
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    You don't need your oven. We will get you there. Plus it's already in an oven. Just one that uses lump instead of electricity.
  • coffeeguydenton
    Options
    -3. Why finish in the oven when he has a hot egg already? @cazzy‌ & @The Cen-Tex Smoker‌ +3 on bump to 275F and hang tight you'll be okay for competition time or at least real close. Pics to follow :-).
    Pics to follow for sure.  Forgot to get picks before it went on.
    Justin in Denton, TX
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Cazzy can get you home as good as anyone. I'll be around too if needed. If it creeps over 275, I would let it. Anything at or just under 300 is ok with your schedule. You will probably have to wrap it unless it stalled out in the 150's overnight. It can happen but I doubt it did on this one. I'm guessing you are going to stall here in the next few degrees. <300 will push it through pretty fast
  • coffeeguydenton
    Options
    Cazzy can get you home as good as anyone. I'll be around too if needed. If it creeps over 275, I would let it. Anything at or just under 300 is ok with your schedule. You will probably have to wrap it unless it stalled out in the 150's overnight. It can happen but I doubt it did on this one. I'm guessing you are going to stall here in the next few degrees. <300 will push it through pretty fast
    I guess this kind of answers my question.  I don't want to waste a good brisket by foiling it and ruining the bark.  I would rather take it off later tonight and have it for left-overs than have it come out less than ideal.  But if you don't think I'm going to destroy it, then I will trust you.
    Justin in Denton, TX
  • cazzy
    Options
    Agree with Cen...anywhere between 275 and 300 is fine. By now you have a bark...so we just need to get you to the finish line. With 3.5 hours of cooking time left you're good. At 4pm, we'll see where you're at and adjust from there.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    ^^^^^^^this. Don't worry about the bark. We will get you there with bark.
  • coffeeguydenton
    edited March 2014
    Options
    I'm in the stall now.  Dropped to 161 IT from 164 about 40 minutes ago.  Should I go ahead and foil or wait a bit. Dome temp is 300 at the moment.
    Justin in Denton, TX
  • grege345
    Options
    I don't think your bark is going to suffer unless it hasn't formed a good crust yet. I suspect it has a good crust tho. I'm not in love with foiling either but I don't see the harm when the bark has formed

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    wait. check in at 4. You may push through it fast if you are around 300. All over but the waitin'

• cazzy
    Options
    grege345 said:

I don't think your bark is going to suffer unless it hasn't formed a good crust yet. I suspect it has a good crust tho. I'm not in love with foiling either but I don't see the harm when the bark has formed

Foil can soften a bark as it steams it and doesn't breath at all.

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    cazzy said:
    Foil can soften a bark as it steams it and doesn't breath at all.
    agreed. that's why I wait as long as possible before diciding. You can firm it up after but you care chasing it once you foil it. Once it is really set and really dark and dry you can usually get ti through ok. I find that it usually after the stall. 

• coffeeguydenton
    Options
    Looks like we're good.  181 and rising.  May even get a decent FTC time in.  Thanks for the encouragement and help guys!  Pictures to come.
    Justin in Denton, TX
  • cazzy
    Options
    Yep!  

You're through the stall...prolly will be at money time around 4pm.  
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    Edit> completion time. Not competition time. Anticipation of pics X_X. What not even a little peek? You brisket tease. :-P
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    I'm so excited that my Son and I pulled the brisket (we're smoking next Fri/Sat) from the deep freeze and laid it in the egg for a moment. I admit I've got a brisket addiction. Giddy laugh!!!
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • coffeeguydenton
    edited March 2014
    Options
    Edit> completion time. Not competition time. Anticipation of pics X_X. What not even a little peek? You brisket tease. :-P

There's your peek :P.  It's like a brisket peep show.
    Justin in Denton, TX
  • coffeeguydenton
    Options
    So things didn't quite work out as expected.  Thought everything was going great, but then went back out at 4 and temp had stalled again, this time dropped from 181 to 176 and held at 176 for another hour and a half.  Didn't have time to mess with it, so we picked up some brisket from the local BBQ joint.  Brisket just finished, 22 1/2 hours after going on.  Good news is, it looks good and probes like butter.  Bad news is we won't be able to eat it fresh (at least no one else will- I'll be cutting myself some tonight before I go to bed).  FTC for the next couple hours, then I will slice and store, about half in the freezer and about half in the fridge for brisket leftovers including tacos tomorrow night.

Justin in Denton, TX
  • NPHuskerFL
    edited March 2014
    Options
    How many # packer was this? 22 1/2 hrs Woah Nelly. Looks great!
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • coffeeguydenton
    edited March 2014
    Options
    14 pounds trimmed
    Justin in Denton, TX
  • cazzy
    Options
    Next time...let us know if you're in trouble. Cen and I could have helped. You were at 181 at 3pm so there was time.

Oh well, leave it whole and you'll have good eats all week!
  • coffeeguydenton
    Options
    cazzy said:
    Next time...let us know if you're in trouble. Cen and I could have helped. You were at 181 at 3pm so there was time. Oh well, leave it whole and you'll have good eats all week!
    I didn't really have an option.  It was for a church group that starts at 4 and we eat at 6, so I couldn't really make any changes at that point.  Didn't realize I was in a second stall until it was too late.  But thank you for your help.  Egging is like life.  Every cook is either a success or a lesson learned.  Either way, each cook makes us better.
    Justin in Denton, TX