Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ohio Soldier Comes Home

Options
Hooah.  I didn't know what to title this post.  If I could find the soldier's unit I would have used the appropriate motto, but I couldn't.  Hooah is probably most often an expression of excitement and enthusiasm, but it can also mean well done brother, good job, which seems appropriate.

The inbound plane that I would be taking out bound to Atlanta from Dayton yesterday carried an Army casualty in the cargo compartment.  The Army honor guard and hearse arrived well early, and there was what I assume was the Casualty Assistance Officer with what looked like mom and dad, and maybe wife.  There were no children present.  

This attracted attention, and several folks were watching where the aircraft would stop about 100 yards away.  By the time the aircraft was there and stopped there was a good crowd gathered.  We could see the flag draped coffin come out of the hold.  The terminal was a good distance away, and no one was in anyway close to the activity or probably even visible to the participants.

When the coffin emerged everyone inside at the gate stood, including folks who could see what was happening from their seats.  Most of the men took their caps off, one man holding his over his heart.  A number of the old guys came to attention.

They held the passengers on-board until the coffin was in the hearse.  I asked a passenger if an announcement had been made, and she said yes but I didn't ask what was said.

This stuff gets to me.  Well done soldier, welcome home.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

Comments