Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Last Sunday's Brisket/Last Night's Brisket Leftovers

Options
Acn
Acn Posts: 4,424
I had tried something new (for me at least) last weekend. As we've seen from the 'Where to buy brisket in MD' thread, your average grocery store doesn't carry big packers, we see mostly flats in the 5-7 pound range. Anyway, I got an email about brining a flat in OJ/hot sauce/salt. That got me thinking, and while I didn't go in for the OJ brine, I did try my own, made with beef broth, Jack Daniels, salt and cow lick. Here is the 5.75 lb flat in the brine in the fridge:
The next morning got it out, patted dry and applied some cow lick:
Got it on the egg around 9, had stabilized at about 270-280. I added an oak chip combo for the smoke:
I did foil it around 1:30-2, I think the extra moisture gave it an extra long stall, my wife and daughter were driving back from Durham, and heaven help me if I made them wait much past 6 for dinner. Here are post FTC and sliced photos, I really need to get a dedicated slicing knife, the chef's just wasn't getting thin slices:
All in all, this probably turned out as well as any flat I've done on the egg. It was moist and tender (even with thick slices), smoky and flavorful.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

Comments

• Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    edited March 2014
    Options
    This cook is off topic, as I cooked it inside with the stove and broiler. I used up the last o the leftover brisket last night doing quick enchiladas, which is one of our favorite recipes for using up leftover meat. I've done this with chicken, tri tip, pulled pork, pork roast, and now brisket. It comes from Cooking Light and you can find it here: http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/20-minute-chicken-enchiladas-50400000128800/ Here is the sauce with the black beans and brisket stirred in, and then a shot after the enchiladas come out from the broiler: imageimage This really does come together in about 20 minutes (maybe a bit more since I don't use pre-chopped onion or pre-shredded cheese). I'd love to eat how else other repurpose their leftovers too.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,332
    Options
    Most eggcellent brisket flat cook.  Looks very moist.  Congrats!
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • drewaars
    drewaars Posts: 63
    Options
    Brisket pizza, bbq sauce instead of tomato with chopped red onion and a cheddar/mozzarella mix is my go to.  Also like making breakfast tacos
    LBGE in Arlington, TX

Thanks and Gig'em