Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pizza Question

Options
Jcorn
Jcorn Posts: 4
I am new to the BGE world after toying for the past 1.5 years with an Akorn. I loved my pizza on the Akorn but always seemed to burn the bottom of the crust on pie 2 & 3. I plan on doing my first pizza on the egg thus w/e. Any suggestions on how to avoid repeating when using the BGE?

Comments

• bigguy136
    bigguy136 Posts: 1,362
    Options

Welcome jcorn.

I'm sure others more experienced will chime in but I found I need to change my pizza dough recipe to a one without much sugar.

I hope this helps. Also do a search for zippylip or paqman

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/987401/x/p1#

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1141565/finally-the-pizza-dough-recipe-i-was-looking-for/p1

Big Lake, Minnesota

2X Large BGE, 1 Mini Max, Stokers, Adjustable Rig

• fusionhq
    fusionhq Posts: 1,707
    Options
    First two minutes on parchment paper. Then slide it out. Also make sure the egg and stone are completely warmed up before first pie. One more thing. Wipe pizza stone with damp rag between pies.
  • fusionhq
    fusionhq Posts: 1,707
    Options
    If it means anything I use Publix pre made dough.
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    If your subsequent pizzas are burning, your stone is likely getting too hot. What temp are you cooking at? Do you have an air gap between the stone and heat deflector?

One option is to wipe the stone with a wet towel right before you put the pizza on.
  • grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options
    Jcorn said:
    I am new to the BGE world after toying for the past 1.5 years with an Akorn. I loved my pizza on the Akorn but always seemed to burn the bottom of the crust on pie 2 & 3. I plan on doing my first pizza on the egg thus w/e. Any suggestions on how to avoid repeating when using the BGE?

how do you plan on going about it? That would help some.
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• Jcorn
    Jcorn Posts: 4
    Options
    After reading so many threads last evening my plan was 600 dome temp, plate setter legs down, grate, small terra cotta planter feet, stone...I did pick up on wiping the stone with a wet rag between pies, think I will try that as well.  I have done Bobby Flay crust in the past, as well as crust from a local pizza joint here in STL.  This time we were planning on using a store bought variety, unfortunately the brand name escapes me at the moment.
  • grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options
    Sounds like a good plan @Jcorn only thing I do that you didn't mention is I let it go a few minutes turn the pizza let it go a couple more and turn it again. This is something my grandmother did so this is what I do. I miss her pizza
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    If using store bought dough, check the directions. Most ovens, the intended device to cook a pie will top out at 500ºF, your 600ºF target temp might be too hot for the dough.
    Try legs up on the setter, grid on setter, your spacer feet and then stone. This puts a much larger air gap between the very hot setter and the stone. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!