Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New dome thermometer

Options
Suggestions for a new dome thermometer? I would prefer one with a short stem so it isn't hitting the food on the top rack of my AR. I know you can take the clip off and put it on the outside to limit how far the stem goes in - that is what I have been doing since I received the AR but I would prefer to get one the sits against the dome. Any shorter ones out there you recommend? Thanks.
XL BGE

Comments

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    drill a hole through the length of  a wine bottle cork and use it as a spacer between the dial and the dome. You need a real cork though, not a synthetic one. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Rzeancak
    Rzeancak Posts: 193
    Options
    caliking said:
    drill a hole through the length of  a wine bottle cork and use it as a spacer between the dial and the dome. You need a real cork though, not a synthetic one. 
    Great idea! quite an adaptive solution! 
    A child can ask questions a wise man can't answer!!!
    Canada
    Large @ Small BGE 

• Jeffroe189
    Jeffroe189 Posts: 273
    Options
    http://www.teltru.com/s-43-barbecue.aspx

Here are some ideas depending on what temp you want it to go up to.
    Jeff from Winston-Salem, NC  - LBGE, MiniMax, Blackstone
  • Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    Options

I put the retaining clip on the temp probe and then drop it in the hole on the dome. (Clip on the outside of the dome) This way I can allow as much as I need to protrude inside my egg. And when I use my Stoker probe there it is a matter of just pulling the temp probe out.

Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • trout1
    trout1 Posts: 104
    Options
    There is a indentation ring around the stem from the end. I put the stem through the hole on the dome. I take my thumbnail and place it on the ring and push the stem up until my thumbnail and the ring of the stem is at the inside of the dome. I take an alligator clip and clip it to the stem on the topside of the dome to hold it at that position. From what I have read, you need that much length showing inside of the dome to get an accurate reading. Whatever temperature I'm cooking I will turn the thermometer where that number is at 12 o'clock position. I can easily see it at a distance then.
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    Tel-Tru makes a bunch of BBQ compatible thermos, the BGE OEM is 5" as i recall, you can get them with everything from 2" to 12" stems. If you need a new one, order the size you prefer. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • BigGreenCraigdotcom
    Options
    I recently upgraded my dome probe also. I do a lot of HIGH HEAT steak searing. I chose a Tel-Tru 200-1000F. I gave up about 50 low end degrees, but gained 250 on the high end. Believe it or not, My XL will get up to 965F!image