Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Franklin BBQ Austin Texas

Options
As some of you already know, Spring Hen and I thought IrishRog could do with some real Texas brisket while he was visiting Texas for the Salado Eggfest. So we routed ourselves by way of Austin and timed our arrival at Franklin BBQ as close to 8:00 am as possible.

Well, we discovered that 8:00 am will put you about 125th in the line for a 11:00 am opening. We ate about 12:45 or so.

Before we added it to our itinerary, we took the liberty of emailing Aaron Franklin to tell him we had an Irishman who would love to meet him if he was going to be around on Friday, March 14th. He wrote back that he should be there unless something came up.

So I made up some tokens as sort of 'Franklin Money' to at least get their attention. It worked, but it didn't get us any closer to the head of the line or any discounts on the food. What it did get was for us to be able to tour the smokers out back guided by Aaron Franklin himself.

Here's the tokens I made:

The first one was already made before I saw CAZZY's sign he made for them. So I made a second batch, both with Aaron Franklin looking into one of the smokers on the back. That sign is awesome but was not hanging on the wall. It was still at the GM's desk waiting to be hung.

The fourth token is one I wish I would have had to give out to people in the line. But I would have needed a little red wagon to haul them all. So, as it stands now, looks as though just the three of us will be getting one of the "I Did The Line At Franklin BBQ" tokens.

Oh, they really liked the tokens.

And yes, the brisket and ribs were worth waiting five hours for.

Spring "A Little Token Goes A Long Way" Chicken
Spring Texas USA

Comments

• SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    edited March 2014
    Options
    Do they have fast pass? Grab a number and come back?

The waiting ....not for me. I'd just pay one of then student deals, chalk it up as an experience.
    Seattle, WA
  • KennyLee
    KennyLee Posts: 806
    Options
    That's awesome......sound like a great experience, the waiting notwithstanding. 

LBGE

Cedar table w/granite top

Ceramic Grillworks two-tier swing rack

Perpetual cooler of ice-cold beer

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Sounds like you had a fun time.  The tokens are neat! 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.