Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Sunday Bacon

Options
There have been so many bacon posts lately that have inspired me to give it a go. I started the curing process last Saturday and smoked the belly with some apple wood chips at 210 for a few hours until IT reached 150. It's in the fridge now and I will slice it later tonight. I did have to try it so I fried up 2 small pieces and broke them into small pieces for the family to try. It tastes quite a bit saltier than I would like but since this was my first attempt I was more aggressive with the kosher salt than I should have been..... lesson learned. I've got 2 racks of pork ribs on now for dinner, if they turn out I will start a new thread on them later. Happy Sunday everyone!

Comments

• Jeronamo
    Jeronamo Posts: 50
    Options
    Meant to add the picture of the bacon pieces.
  • grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options
    What method did you use? I just started my process for the first time yesterday. Very anxious. Gonna be a long week
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Next time slice a small piece off after the curing is done before smoking. Fry it up and taste it. If its too salty, soak it in water for a few hours in the fridge. That will draw some of the salt out. Nice way to make sure its not too salty in the end.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options
    Do you smoke with the skin on or off?
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• Jeronamo
    Jeronamo Posts: 50
    Options
    I took the skin off before curing and I used readycure which is easily found where I live. I think it was 32 grams for the weight of belly I had remainining after removing the skin. I rubbed the belly with maple syrup and then applied the readycure and 1/3 cup of salt before putting in a ziplock bag for 7 days. I flipped the bag daily while it was in the fridge. Before I put it on the egg this morning I applied a small amount of maple syrup on the meaty side and then sprinkled with black pepper. It tastes fantastic but the salt aftertaste is too strong.
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    If you will hot smoke, its easier to remove skin after smoking. If cold smoking, doesn't make a difference. Last time I cold smoked with the A-MAZE-N Smoker I had the skin on a and down. Was glad I did as I had areas of dark skin from the infrared emited from the smoldering pellets. Next time will use platesetter as a deflector and remove skin before curing.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker