Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cypress staining question

Options
When I got my XL we purchased a BGE large cypress table. At the time I coated it with Thompson Water seal. It is now due for a refinish. I have a gray stained deck so am considering doing a black stain on the table, which will better hide whoopsies. Will the stain sink in on this wood? Is there a good brand of spar varnish or other finish that holds up well? It will be covered most of the time.
A poor widows son.
See der Rabbits, Iowa

Comments

• cortguitarman
    cortguitarman Posts: 2,061
    Options
    It will sink in. Clean it with TSP and a scrub brush, or pressure wash it. If you choose to pressure wash, be careful not to get too close and tear out the wood fibers. I don't know about spar varnishes. I stained my table with Sikkens Rubol Dek. Mine is pt lumber. If I had cypress, I'd stain with Sikkens window and door stain. It doesn't require a complete sanding if you ever need to refinish it. I don't work for Sikkens. I just love their products.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • Lowflyer
    Lowflyer Posts: 785
    Options
    I just sanded my cypress with an orbital sander and put 2 coats of Helsman Spar on it from Home Depot.
    Before:
  • Lowflyer
    Lowflyer Posts: 785
    Options
    I'm pleased w the outcome. It's raining here today, but I will apply 2-3 more coats.