Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pork Chop reverse sear question

tulocay
tulocay Posts: 1,737
I'm doing my first reverse sear today with pork chops. They are bone-in and less than 1 inch thick. Here is the plan. Brine for 2-3 hours. Dry and let sit in the fridge. Take out apply rub. Cook indirect at 275 until internal temp of 125-130. Take chops off, crank up the temp to 500~, sear 1-2 minutes per side. Eat. My question is, does anyone have an idea of how long it might take for the indirect part of the cook? I'm talking about a stabilized egg at 275. Thanks in advance.
LBGE, Marietta, GA

Comments

• GreenhawK
    GreenhawK Posts: 398
    It won't take long at all with chops that thin.  I usually take 20 - 25 min to do the indirect part of the cook on 2" thick Rib-eyes.  

I usually cook chops that size at 3 or 4 min per side at grid height at 500 - 600 degrees.

Large BGE Decatur, AL
  • tulocay
    tulocay Posts: 1,737
    Thanks Greenhawk!
    LBGE, Marietta, GA
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Will not take long, 20 minutes max. Don't forget to dry the chops before the sear - if you want some colour and Mailard reaction. Brined chops tend to weep a little while resting waiting for the sear. You have to "fire dry" the moisture before any colour starts - meaning you may overshoot final desired IT. Dry them, use the sear to colour not cook. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!