Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Simple Pork Chops

jls9595jls9595 Posts: 1,528
Reverse sear. Good stuff...imageimageimage
In Manchester, TN
Vol For Life!

Comments

• hapsterhapster Posts: 7,445
    Nothing simple about them... They look great!
  • henapplehenapple Posts: 15,966
    What temp before the sear?
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • jls9595jls9595 Posts: 1,528
    128-130* depending which one I checked.  About a min. per side at 600*
    In Manchester, TN
    Vol For Life!
    And the fries?
    henapple said:
    And the fries?
    just some off brand from the freezer section at my local Food Lion grocery. Too lazy to make anything else :D
    In Manchester, TN
    Vol For Life!
  • tulocaytulocay Posts: 1,737
    They look great. What did you put in the CI? Oil of some sort? I'm going to try this for the first time tomorrow. Can you do this cook without the CI? Just put them on the grate?
    LBGE, Marietta, GA
    I coated the chops in olive oil but there was some grease from past cooks in there too.  You can sear on a CI grate, I would dry the surface and brush with evoo then place on a hot grate a min or so per side.   
    In Manchester, TN
    Vol For Life!
    Thanks. I have the standard ss grate. I will either use that or dig my CI out and clean it up.
    LBGE, Marietta, GA
    The fries look good. Jake loves steak fries.
  • EGG_DaddyEGG_Daddy Posts: 158
    What's reverse sear?  Just double-sided searing?  Has anyone ever slow smoked a pork chop then increase heat to sear?  I have eaten about 2,000 lbs of pork in my day but I got a lot to learn.  

Seattle. LBGE. Vikings. Beer. YETI 75. YETI Colster.

What you asked is, to my understanding, a reverse sear. Cook indirect to an internal temp of approx. 125, crank the heat up and sear 1-2 min per side. Will be trying my first one tomorrow.
    LBGE, Marietta, GA
    henapple said:
    The fries look good. Jake loves steak fries.
    me too, even the cheep ones...

EGG_Daddy said:
    What's reverse sear?  Just double-sided searing?  Has anyone ever slow smoked a pork chop then increase heat to sear?  I have eaten about 2,000 lbs of pork in my day but I got a lot to learn.  
    It's searing at the end of the cook.  I cooked them indirect above the plate setter legs down at 275 or so till 130* internal temp., then put them in foil. I took out the plate setter and had my CI skillet on the grate under it and opened the vents to get the egg to 600*. Then I seared for a minute per side.  
    In Manchester, TN
    Vol For Life!
    Just curious, why the ps legs up? Also, how long did it take to reach the 130 internal?
    LBGE, Marietta, GA
    edited March 2014
    tulocay said:
    Just curious, why the ps legs up? Also, how long did it take to reach the 130 internal?
    I put the legs down so my CI skillet could sit under it and be getting hot while the chops were cooking indirect.
    In Manchester, TN
    Vol For Life!