Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

This is how you start a cook in the morning.

Mickey
Mickey Posts: 19,674
edited March 2014 in EggHead Forum
Getting ready for a Turbo Butt Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

Comments

• td66snrf
    td66snrf Posts: 1,822
    edited March 2014
    Way cool. So how did they taste?
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, SMALL, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser
  • A venison butt?
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Nice. You may just find you have a whole different appreciation for wildlife now you can stop and "smell the roses". How does it feel starting a butt on what used to be a working day?
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • fence0407
    fence0407 Posts: 2,236
    Jealous for more than a few reasons. Very nice view you have there.
    Large - Mini - Blackstone 17", 28", 36"
    Cumming, GA  

• Mickey
    Nice. You may just find you have a whole different appreciation for wildlife now you can stop and "smell the roses". How does it feel starting a butt on what used to be a working day?
    Had not thought of that. Feels good my friend.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    What a horrible life retirement is turing out to be. :-q

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    Retirement, lights work, car in the drive with gas and 100lbs of lump. Life is good? 
    Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • Mickey
    Hotch said:
    Retirement, lights work, car in the drive with gas and 100lbs of lump. Life is good? 

I would be envious if you weren't talking about me. Life is good.

• Mickey
    350 for about 5 hours (200). image

• Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    Enjoy.
    Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • jls9595
    jls9595 Posts: 1,533
    I'm going to try my first turbo butt tomorrow. Do they turn out with less or softer bark?
    In Manchester, TN
    Vol For Life!
  • Mickey
    jls9595 said:
    I'm going to try my first turbo butt tomorrow. Do they turn out with less or softer bark?

IMO no. I do not foil in the cook at all.

• smokesniffer
    smokesniffer Posts: 2,016
    That look great. I would stand there and watch them for quite a while. So nice to have that in your back yard!  Retirement, time to enjoy and smell the coffee. Have a good day Mickey. 
    Large, small, and a mini
  • jls9595
    jls9595 Posts: 1,533
    Oh, I didn't realize you didn't foil it. I know some do turbos and foil once it hit 165 or so. So you go 350 all the way through?
    In Manchester, TN
    Vol For Life!
  • billyray
    billyray Posts: 1,275
    Mickey;
    Did you steal some of VI's deer for the picture 
    :))
    Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.
  • Mickey
    billyray said:
    Mickey;
    Did you steal some of VI's deer for the picture 
    :))

No. VI photoshops mine into a picture of the guy he works for house and post. VI lives in a 89 Ford PU and picks up cans for this guy. You have seen pictures of a very nice looking lady named Pam. No way someone who looks like her would be with VI. She is in charge of indigent care for the Austin area and VI comes to the clinic ever so often. That's the sad story of my friend VI.

• pretzelb
    pretzelb Posts: 158
    I'm jealous for two reasons. First, those deer would be great for "recycling" my spent grains after brewing some beer. Second, looks like you don't have to worry about the dogs barking at the neighbor dogs behind the back fence for the early morning potty break. 
    XL egg owner, home brewer, jogger, coffee roaster, gamer 
  • Mickey
    jls9595 said:
    Oh, I didn't realize you didn't foil it. I know some do turbos and foil once it hit 165 or so. So you go 350 all the way through?

Yep. Guessing 5 hours for this 7.5lb butt. Pull at 200 and then pull. No need for the butt box unless you need to hold it for a while.

• sancho65
    sancho65 Posts: 226
    @mickey That all looks Good from Here!! Enjoy and Thanks for All You Do!!
    XL, Large, 2 Small's and Mini BGE Arlington Texas
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Nice. My FIL's place backs to 50 acres of undeveloped land along the San Gabriel. He gets 15-20 deer that jump over the fence and cruise through the neighborhood at dusk. I grabbed some cool shots I'll have to post.
  • Justacookin
    Justacookin Posts: 291
    NOT NICE TO RUB IT IN. But I am happy for yo
    XL & waiting for my Mini Max Bloomington MN.