Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - Offset Smoker in Franklin Vids

Options
Chris_Wang
Chris_Wang Posts: 1,254
edited March 2014 in Off Topic
Got a text from one of my friends asking what brand offset smoker Ayayron uses in his YouTube vids. I told him I didn't know, but I figure someone on here would know.

Any ideas?

Ball Ground, GA

ATL Sports Homer

Comments

• Chris_Wang
    Options

Ball Ground, GA

ATL Sports Homer

• cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options

Got a text from one of my friends asking what brand offset smoker Ayayron uses in his YouTube vids. I told him I didn't know, but I figure someone on here would know.

Any ideas?

Old Country BBQ Pits
    http://www.bbquepits.com

He purchased the Ranch Hand model at Academy. It doesn't appear to be available at this time.
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,970
    edited March 2014
    Options
    That thing was brand new and I'm sure they bought it to look nice in the videos. I promise you he does not cook on that at home (he does not eat BBQ anymore anyway). The most difficult to use cooker in the world is a $300 offset from academy. Don't do it. Backyards are littered with them here and I've never seen anyone use them more than a few times before giving up. Most people end up using the firebox as a grill and store all their gear in the smoke chamber. BGE has never had a better sales person than the $300 offset smoker.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • TUTTLE871
    TUTTLE871 Posts: 1,316
    Options
    cazzy said:
    Got a text from one of my friends asking what brand offset smoker Ayayron uses in his YouTube vids. I told him I didn't know, but I figure someone on here would know. Any ideas?
    Old Country BBQ Pits http://www.bbquepits.com He purchased the Ranch Hand model at Academy. It doesn't appear to be available at this time.

My dad has 20" one from bbquepits and the thing is a beast, I bet it weighs close to 600lbs. The ones I've looked at academy seem flimsy and will die over time. The 1/4 steel ones are the ones are built too last.

I've cooked on my dads a few times and did a few Spatchcock chickens. I almost replicated the moisture I can get from the egg.

"Hold my beer and watch this S##T!"

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.

• Chris_Wang
    Options
    Thanks guys! Best forum in the world.

Ball Ground, GA

ATL Sports Homer

• Smokinpig
    Smokinpig Posts: 739
    Options
    I have a new braunfels black diamond offset that I am unloading since I got an egg. The egg is 100 times easier and the food quality is better. I make better product now than I did in 13 years of using the offset.

LBGE Atlanta, GA

• Chris_Wang
    Options
    Definitely not buying one, my buddy just wanted to know. He was one of the guys with me at Salado.

Ball Ground, GA

ATL Sports Homer

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options

Hell...I got an old $170 Brinkman that is probably 11 years old sitting down at the ranch. What I learned to cook on and I can put out some pretty darn good briskets, butts and ribs on it. Still love to cook on it, but refuse to do briskets anymore because I don't want to babysit it for that long. I'd put my ribs off of it against anybodys Egged ribs anyday and you wouldn't know the difference. There's just something about kicking back in a chari with a cold one in one hand, relaxin, maybe reading a book, or dozing off for a bit. Then getting up and fiddling with it. Tossing ins some more wood and/or charcoal. gazing off in the distance and watching the deer and squirrels play.. Good times. Glad I didn't get rid of it and I can cook on it while I'm down there, but glad I have my Eggs for everyday cooking.

I digress. I guess what I'm trying to say is its the cook and not the equipment, as long as he knows what he is doing on it. The Egg just makes it easier. Sometimes, too easy IMHO. Takes some of the fun of babysitting a pit away.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,846
    Options

I'm with you @Griffin.  There are some days when I enjoy cooking on my offset exactly because I get to fiddle with the fire, etc.  But those days are definitely the minority.  Most days the egg is the way to go.

I think Cen-Tex's point is that the cheap offset smoker that is thin-walled and poorly insulated is a challenge for anybody to consistently produce good food.  Some of the heavier, thicker ones do pretty well - but they also cost as much or more than big eggs.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Griffin
    Options
    Now I kinda wish I had one up here to do some ribs on tonight. :(

Rowlett, Texas

• pretzelb
    pretzelb Posts: 158
    Options
    Griffin said:

I digress. I guess what I'm trying to say is its the cook and not the equipment, as long as he knows what he is doing on it. The Egg just makes it easier. Sometimes, too easy IMHO. Takes some of the fun of babysitting a pit away.

The topic of "cook vs equipment" comes up often in homebrewing. I tend to disagree with what most people think. I think it is true that a great brewer or cook can work with anything. But I do think the average or below average cook or brewer benefits from better equipment. After years of cooking on gas grills I know for sure that my results on the egg are vastly superior to anything I did before. Just had some thinly slicked chicken breasts a few days ago that were very juicy. I was never able to do that before the BGE. 

Having said all that, I'm not sure why I don't just go ahead and pull the trigger on a new pit controller since I know it will improve my cooks.  8-}
    XL egg owner, home brewer, jogger, coffee roaster, gamer 
  • Griffin
    Options

I need to pull the trigger and invest in some better home brew equipment. Been eyeing kettles, but just not sure what to get. What are you using @pretzelb ? And where do you stand on aluminum vs stainless steel? I'm still new to homebrewing.

Rowlett, Texas

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    I love cooking on offsets.....just not $300 offsets :D

My buddy has a custom from a propane tank down at his ranch. It never cools off when we go. I just wouldn't want to deal with that every cook. You can put out great food on anything- hell you can dig a hole in the ground if you know what you are doing ( or in my case even if you don't). I just don't find them fun to cook long cooks on. Too much babysitting for me.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • pretzelb
    pretzelb Posts: 158
    Options
    Griffin said:

I need to pull the trigger and invest in some better home brew equipment. Been eyeing kettles, but just not sure what to get. What are you using @pretzelb ? And where do you stand on aluminum vs stainless steel? I'm still new to homebrewing.

My basic setup is two kettles and a square cooler for the mash. I use Better Bottles for fermenters. I also have a copper chiller and a copper pre chiller. I'd like to replace the cooler mash tun for something with a fitted false bottom but I can't decide between another kettle or another cooler. I did buy a used pump from a friend who moved but I have never used it, but it would add several dimensions to the process if I ever dare to try. The basic advantage of the pump is I could probably get a stand and not have to move the heavy pots so much. I decided long ago to stick with stainless just to avoid any possible issues. 

My next purchase might be another chest freezer and temp controller. I have one now for my kegs but this would be for fermentation. I have a feeling that if I could keep my temps consistent it would improve the beer. At the very least I could finally try a lager. 
    XL egg owner, home brewer, jogger, coffee roaster, gamer 
  • Cullum
    Cullum Posts: 215
    Options
    I always wondered if he didn't cook that brisket in his videos with his big main smokers and just make it look like he used the one in the video.