Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pizza gone way wrong

Options
2»

Comments

• gamason
    gamason Posts: 406
    Options
    Tried "caveman" style on that one, huh! Dont give up. The egg makes a great pizza.

Snellville,Ga.

LBGE

Minimax

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,753
    Options
    your next pizza will be better, it cant be worse
    :D ive never seen one so bad
    :)) get the egg cooking an hour before the pie goes in and try again, 500 degrees is a good starting point
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • wkearney99
    Options
    An hour?  My XL doesn't take anywhere near that long to get up to temp.  The keys being a lot of lump, leaving the vent fully open and the cap completely off.  That and I usually start the lump with a MAPP torch.

I did a dozen pies with a two stone setup on a Ceramic Grill Store adjustable rig.  Worked great.  Each of them took around 6-7 minutes.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,753
    edited October 2014
    Options
    An hour?  My XL doesn't take anywhere near that long to get up to temp.  The keys being a lot of lump, leaving the vent fully open and the cap completely off.  That and I usually start the lump with a MAPP torch.

I did a dozen pies with a two stone setup on a Ceramic Grill Store adjustable rig.  Worked great.  Each of them took around 6-7 minutes.
    mnes up to temp between 10 to 15 minutes but its not burning clean
    :D for what its worth i cook in the greasiest, crudiest egg on the forum, most here would spend a day cleaning it before deciding to replace it
     :)) :))
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • DieselkW
    DieselkW Posts: 894
    Options
    That grey stuff is ash, (smoke) you have to wait until the air exiting out the chimney is clear, and the temp has stabilized. Cooking before that will yield undesirable results.

I know, it's an expensive lesson. When you open the dome, and see that the ceramic has gone from creamy white to charcoal black within the first three cooks.... that same stuff is on your pizza. 

The pepperoni looks good. (silver lining)

Indianapolis, IN

BBQ is a celebration of culture in America. It is the closest thing we have to the wines and cheeses of Europe. 

Drive a few hundred miles in any direction, and the experience changes dramatically. 

• Gogogordy
    Gogogordy Posts: 460
    Options
    Perfectly titled post! Try again, your odds of improvement are very, very good. Pizza's tough till you show it you're in charge...then it's easy.
    When I'm not Eggin', I'm scootin'   Eggin' and 'cueing from Temecula Ca; an hour from San Diego, an hour and five minutes from Palm Springs, and an hour and a half from Los Angeles (yeah, right. With THAT traffic?)