Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

(Award Winning) Smoked Brisket Chili from Salado Eggfest After Party 2014

Comments

• buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Interesting this got bumped.  I'm pulling some brisket out of the freezer to make my variation on this today.

NOLA
  • Raymont
    Raymont Posts: 710
    Awesome recipe!!!

Small & Large BGE

Nashville, TN

• Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Awesome recipe. By far the best chili I've ever had. 
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • Where is the recipe?
  • Kelley 
    Egging with No Joke Smoke (Bruce), enjoying small town life in Brenham, TX., the home of Blue Bell Ice Cream.  BGEs: XL, Medium,  1 MiniMax. 36" CookRite Commercial Griddle, and a Shirley Smoker.
  • smbishop
    smbishop Posts: 3,053
    I have made it several time, definitely my favorite, and now my daughter's favorite as well!
    Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.
  • I have a chili cookoff coming up at the end of october, and am considering using this recipe, since it's been so well received.  I do have a few concerns about it, and wanted to see if you could rest my mind at ease, eggobsessed. 

First, 3 cups of celery?  In chili?  Never heard of celery in chili.  does it taste raw, like celery often does no matter how long you cook it, or does it disappear in the chili?

Secondly, 4 cloves of garlic, then 2 TABLESPOONS of granulated garlic?  In only 2 1/2 pounds of meat?  THat sounds extremely strong.  I like the flavor of garlic, but I don't want to be tasting it 2 days later.  Do you use fresh garlic, as opposed to dry?  Is that how you get away with so much?  Or is it just extremely strong with garlic.

Third, do you trim the fat off the brisket before cubing, or do you use fat and all?  Do you use the point, the flat, or both?

Fourth, it seems like a huge amount of tomatoes and liquid for only 2 1/2 pounds of meat.  Am I reading that right?

One of my pet peeves is people who leave a review about how good (or bad) a recipe is after they admit that they modified it.  I want to make it just like you did, since it's award winning.  Maybe I'll make a small brisket and do a trial run first.

Thanks in advance.
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    If I may offer my own perspective: 
    yes
    no, 2 cloves
    yes, trim the fat, and both point and flat
    yes

We love this recipe by the way.
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • Yes, @cheapskate, this is exactly my recipe.  Many decades ago, my grandmother taught me about putting celery and celery tops in chili.  I know it all sounds strange, but it's really good, and I've made the recipe this size as well as multiplied by 10 for chili cookoffs.  Fear not ;)
    Kelley 
    Egging with No Joke Smoke (Bruce), enjoying small town life in Brenham, TX., the home of Blue Bell Ice Cream.  BGEs: XL, Medium,  1 MiniMax. 36" CookRite Commercial Griddle, and a Shirley Smoker.
  • JenGang
    JenGang Posts: 91

This recipe is perfect just as it is!  The only adjustment I make is I use half the cayenne because we have Minnesota taste buds and anything more than salt and pepper could be considered spicy to some people.  :)

Oh and one time I make it with smoked chuck roast because I wanted to bring it for a potluck and wasn't going to have time to do a brisket.  It was still awesome.

Jen

Lakeville, MN

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    I have a chili cookoff coming up at the end of october, and am considering using this recipe, since it's been so well received.  I do have a few concerns about it, and wanted to see if you could rest my mind at ease, eggobsessed. 

First, 3 cups of celery?  In chili?  Never heard of celery in chili.  does it taste raw, like celery often does no matter how long you cook it, or does it disappear in the chili?

Secondly, 4 cloves of garlic, then 2 TABLESPOONS of granulated garlic?  In only 2 1/2 pounds of meat?  THat sounds extremely strong.  I like the flavor of garlic, but I don't want to be tasting it 2 days later.  Do you use fresh garlic, as opposed to dry?  Is that how you get away with so much?  Or is it just extremely strong with garlic.

Third, do you trim the fat off the brisket before cubing, or do you use fat and all?  Do you use the point, the flat, or both?

Fourth, it seems like a huge amount of tomatoes and liquid for only 2 1/2 pounds of meat.  Am I reading that right?

One of my pet peeves is people who leave a review about how good (or bad) a recipe is after they admit that they modified it.  I want to make it just like you did, since it's award winning.  Maybe I'll make a small brisket and do a trial run first.

Thanks in advance.
    I can't give advice on making this fantastic Chili but I have eaten it at 3 different Eggfests and it's truly great Chili.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Photo Egg said:
    I have eaten it at 3 different Eggfests and it's truly great Chili.
    This ^^^^^^^^^^^ speaks volumes. Brother Photo has eaten it 3 times and it was great all 3 times. There is not much left to cipher or ponder my friend. It's undoubtedly great stuff. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Wylecyot
    Wylecyot Posts: 203
    My two cents...I made this for the So Cal Eggfest and it was incredibly well received.  We did not modify the recipe at all.  Thanks @EggObsessed for the recipe!  It is one of our favorites!
    Large BGE, Medium BGE, Kamado Joe Jr, 36" Blackstone Griddle Blackstone Tailgater and Roccbox owner/operator from Los Angeles
  • fishindoc
    fishindoc Posts: 212
    Do you use both the flat and point?
  • RajunCajun
    RajunCajun Posts: 1,035
    Thanks for the recipe.  Looks like a good one!
    The problem with a problem is that you don't know it's a problem until it's a problem, and that is a big problem.
    Holding the company together with three spreadsheets and two cans connected by a long piece of string.
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    fishindoc said:
    Take a couple minutes and read though the post. It will answer all your questions.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • fishindoc
    fishindoc Posts: 212
    Photo Egg said:
    fishindoc said:
    Take a couple minutes and read though the post. It will answer all your questions.
    Somehow missed it. .my bad
  • My company approached me after I bragged about this recipe and want me to make it for the office.  If we have 53 folks in the office, and everyone will bring other sides to eat with the chili (so I am guessing 1 bowl per person)- -how many pots/batches would you suggest I need to do?  Thanks in advance!
  • @BubbaBBQ:  If you follow the recipe, it makes approximately a gallon and a half, which is 24 8 oz. cups.  Two batches would be 48 8 oz. cups.  I would base your decision on this, and who is attending (ie, hearty eaters, light eaters, etc.)
    Kelley 
  • Awesome!  Thank you!
  • fusionhq
    fusionhq Posts: 1,707
    Love this chili. I had to back out some of the spice for some weaker mouths, but I'm going to start making two--spicy and mild. Such a great recipe!!
  • NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    edited October 2016
    Finally made this over the weekend . . excellent. I smoked 5lb brisket flat (after trim/smoke it was just over 2.5lb of cubes) early in the day . . and chili later that night.  The brisket breaks down so well during the simmer, and leaves you with such a satisfying bite - wow.  I love trying different chili's . . so thanks for the great recipe @eggobsessed !

Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • RajunCajun
    RajunCajun Posts: 1,035
    edited October 2016
    NDG.....I like the Shun....I have one just like it and love it
    The problem with a problem is that you don't know it's a problem until it's a problem, and that is a big problem.
    Holding the company together with three spreadsheets and two cans connected by a long piece of string.
  • NDG
    @rajuncajun . . good to hear! It is a workhorse . . your post reminds me . . I gotta drop it off to get sharpened this year !!
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • NDG
    PS  . . after 2 days in fridge . . this chili was dynomite! 
    Columbus, OH

• I am going to make 2 batches of the chili exactly by the recipe, and then one "milder" version for the work event.  When folks have done "milder" what adjustments does that take?  Halfing the cayenne?  Or more?  Thanks.
  • I would recommend cutting back on the fresh jalapenos, OR taking the seeds out and using the same number.  And, reducing the cayenne couldn't hurt either.  
    Kelley 
  • NDG
    i took almost all seeds out, left ribs and found the recipe still had little heat.
    Columbus, OH

• Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    Try removing the Pith (Ribs) to reduce the capsaicin. The seeds are not the source of the heat in a chili pepper. Some people use gloves when doing this.
    Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • Sounds good.  Thanks all!