Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Spatchcock Tutorial, Pic Heavy

Thought this would be nice for some of the new eggheads out there.

Take a whole chicken and cut the backbone out, flip over and push flat. Kitchen shears work the best for me but others just use a sharp knife. Make sure to season under the skin and backside as well. Onto the top of the AR at 400 until tender, used a little orange wood for smoke.

Yum Yum!

NW IA

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 22.5 WSM, 1 Smokey Joe

Comments

• buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    edited March 2014
    I usually toss the backbone on the grill with the chicken and use that with the carcass to make stock later.
    NOLA
  • buzd504 said:
    I usually toss the backbone on the grill with the chicken and use that with the carcass to make stock later.
    Have that with the other parts and skin in a DO As we speak.

NW IA

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Agree, don't toss the backbone. Make stock.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • chashans
    chashans Posts: 418
    Sounds like you are using the "cooked" carcass to make stock. Is that true?
    LARGE, MINI BGE    SAN DIEGO, CA            An alcoholic with a barbecuing problem.

• @chashans‌ sure am, another thread about that

NW IA

• chashans said:
    We make stock with every carcass we cook at my house.  Smokey stocks go in things like lentil stew and smokey chicken and rice.  Good stuff.
    Justin in Denton, TX
  • Terrebandit
    Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
    Lots of YouTube videos out there as well. I always remove the breast bone as well.
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • chashans
    chashans Posts: 418
    chashans said:
    We make stock with every carcass we cook at my house.  Smokey stocks go in things like lentil stew and smokey chicken and rice.  Good stuff.
    Sounds really good. I have heard of folks doing that with a Thanksgiving turkey carcass but never with left-over chicken bones. Probably because here (my home) we always eat the chicken from the bone and then toss it. Perhaps I have been naive by not saving them and using them for stock. Sounds like a great idea to me. This forum continues to amaze me. Thanks!
    LARGE, MINI BGE    SAN DIEGO, CA            An alcoholic with a barbecuing problem.

• Terrebandit
    Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
    Do you guys use the neck and giblets (liver, gizzard, etc) to make stock??
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Or just cook the chicken vertically. Everybody just likes to say spatchcock.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832

I do. I take the backbone and all the other stuff and toss it in a pot on the stove to simmer for a few hours.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • DMW said:
    I do. I take the backbone and all the other stuff and toss it in a pot on the stove to simmer for a few hours.
    Everyone in the pool, giblet bag, carcass,skin and everything else not pulled off the bones.

NW IA

• henapple said:
    Or just cook the chicken vertically. Everybody just likes to say spatchcock.
    That also works, I like to say whole butterfly chicken but since everyone knows the term spatchcock, easier to just use it

NW IA