Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Mickey's Coffee Rub good on spare ribs?

RRP
RRP Posts: 25,880
Thought I might mix up a batch and try it on my spares tomorrow - I just haven't followed the the MCR threads enough to know if it works there. Will it knock my socks off?
Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.

Comments

• cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    I brewed Mickey's coffee rub by mistake and it was the best freaking coffee I have never tasted. :P

I've tried it on beef and pork ribs...both were good. Will it knock your socks off? I don't know as that's subjective. I think the coffee rub really sings on poultry, but it does a good job everywhere else too.
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • Interesting, I have put this coffee rub on chicken, turkey, pork loins and everyone loves it. But I never have tried it on ribs.  I'm waiting to see the review on this.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Welcome to the Swamp.....GO GATORS!!!!
  • pantsypants
    pantsypants Posts: 1,191
    I am yet to try it on something and regret it . So I can't see why not
    Toronto
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    I found this post...not THE (Mickey's) coffee rub, but it does support the theory that coffee rub+ribs= good.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,041
    I think the coffee rub really benefits from some direct time maybe after the roast if you crisped them up with some direct cooking? Just thinking out loud I may be way off
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    Interesting, I have put this coffee rub on chicken, turkey, pork loins and everyone loves it. But I never have tried it on ribs.  I'm waiting to see the review on this.
    I will report back! What really surprised me was that I was able to find the very brand of instant expresso that Mickey recommended. I mean he's down there in a large market in TX and I'm up here shopping in a 110K community in IL. I found it at Kroger!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Judy Mayberry
    Judy Mayberry Posts: 2,015
    edited March 2014
    RRP said:

I will report back! What really surprised me was that I was able to find the very brand of instant expresso that Mickey recommended. I mean he's down there in a large market in TX and I'm up here shopping in a 110K community in IL. I found it at Kroger!

Ron: that is the ONLY brand I have ever seen in decades of shopping. Not to say there aren't other brands, but not in my stores.

Judy in San Diego
  • Ron...I found it too in small grocery stores in Des Moines. ..I was suprised as well
    Making the neighbors jealous in Pleasant Hill, Ia one cook at a time...
  • bettysnephew
    bettysnephew Posts: 1,188
    The Hy Vee stores in Cedar Rapids all stock it but I have to order ancho from Penzey's unless I want to buy it 1 oz. at a time.
    A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa
  • BOWHUNR
    BOWHUNR Posts: 1,487
    Can someone post, or post a link to the recipe?  Thanks.

Mike

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    BOWHUNR said:
    Can someone post, or post a link to the recipe?  Thanks.

Mike

Coffee Rub (turkey, chicken, beef & pork) 
    Equal part: Instant Expresso Ground coffee 
    Equal part: Brown Sugar 
    ½ part: Black Pepper 
    ½ part: Kosher Salt 
    ½ part: Garlic Powder 
    ¾ part: Ancho Chili Powder 

Don't worry on exact, just close on measurement. I used to use turbinado sugar but we like with brown better. This is pulled from MollyShark, Hungry Man, & Richard In Fl then tweaked. I find the ancho chili powder is far less expensive in the bulk spice area than the bottled area ( have used both light or dark version). I make it starting with a half cup Instant Expresso Ground coffee and work from there as it seems to store well if sealed.

This coffee:

Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • BOWHUNR
    BOWHUNR Posts: 1,487
    Thanks cazz!

Mike

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Ron my Wife, daughter and Grandgirls are 100% for steaks, chicken and turkey. I think it outstanding on beef ribs. Will try on pork after you report back (tough not to use Bad Byrons Butt Rub on them).
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.