Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Thanks, Mickey... et al!!

Options
Carolina Q
Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
edited March 2014 in EggHead Forum
Mickey is the one who made me aware of this rub, but I understand it's sort of a mod of blends from Hungryman (Al), Richard FL and Monica (MollyShark, I assume).

All I know is I spatched a chicken last night using MY version of Coffee Rub and it may have been the best chicken I have ever had! I think the original blend calls for equal parts of everything. I reduced the salt quite a bit as I am now on a low sodium diet so adjust if you wish, but MAN, THAT WAS GOOD!!! 

Here ya go... 

2 Tbls Instant Espresso Ground coffee 
2 Tbls Brown Sugar 
1 Tbls black pepper 
1 tsp Kosher salt 
1T garlic powder 
4 ½ tsp (1½ Tbls) ancho chili powder 

This will be good for at least 2, maybe 3 whole chickens, even with a liberal application. 

Not sure if it was the coffee or the Ancho (or both), but this was an outstanding rub!! Raised direct at 400°. 

THANKS to ALL!!!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
Central Connecticut 

Comments

• Brisket_Fanatic
    Options
    Sounds good, how was the heat level with that much ancho chili powder?

NW IA

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 22.5 WSM, 1 Smokey Joe

• Carolina Q
    Options
    Well, ancho is fairly mild so I thought it was perfect! Not too spicy at all. 

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Thanks CQ. Mickey's going to float away tomorrow, his head will be so big. :D
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    Nah. Recipe came from Al, Richard and Monica. All Mickey can claim is that he put me on to it. :)

BTW, I just reheated leftovers. Almost as good as  last night!

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    edited March 2014
    Options
    Nah. Recipe came from Al, Richard and Monica. All Mickey can claim is that he put me on to it. :)

BTW, I just reheated leftovers. Almost as good as  last night!
    Um no Mike. Richard's recipe was different and heavily tweaked by Mickey  

INGREDIENTS:
    12 Ozs Coffee Beans, Your Choice, I like Columbian Ground originally recipe had 4 ozs Kona
    4 Ozs. Hawaiian Sea Salt, White, add salt after the other ingredients so as not to over salt the rub
    10 Ozs. Turbindo Sugar
    6 Ozs. Indian River Rainbow Pepper
    12 Ozs. Char-Broil Pulled Pork Rub, Pork rub of Choice
    6 Ozs. Jimmy Joe's Poultry Rub, Mild rub, little salt flavor, Jimmy Joe's Poultry Rub, (AC LEGG"S Old Plantation BBQ Rub #107)

Procedure:
    1 Measure each item by weight. If not fine ground, run thru a coffee grinder. Each item by itself. Screen thru a vegetable wire strainer to get larger pieces out- re-grind them. Mix all together.

Yield: 24 Ozs. /1 1/2 Pounds

Recipe Type
    Rub/Seasoning/Spice

Cooking Tips
    For these 2 rubs you may use your favorite pork or poultry rub. just make sure the salt is last added 'cause some rubs have more salt than others.

Recipe Source
    Source: BGE Forum, Richard Fl, 2009/05/24

2009/06/16-- Took the original "KONA" recipe and cranked it up for more, coffee flavor, salt and heat flavor.

2009/08/14--Took this recipe and added 3 ozs Red Pepper, Fine and used 18 Ozs Old Plantation BBQ Rub #107 and that was used in place of the Jimmy Joes and Char Broil rubs.

You, kind sir, used what we call around these parts, Mickey's Coffee Rub. Deal with it, accept it, and give my retired friend his credit!!! :P
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • Carolina Q
    edited March 2014
    Options
    Well then, excuse me. HE is the one who said it came from those sources. First I ever saw of all that. And I did look. WAY too complex for me. But that's Richard for ya. LOL.

If it gets any better than the simplified version I mentioned, it should be illegal.

Anyway, thanks, Mickey.

PS, he is MY retired friend too.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Options
    And the legend grows
    Seattle, WA
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    Mickey is my roving Ambassador of good coffee rub mojo, now retired, here is my most current complicated version.  Don't need to make 7 pounds, but I have been known to trade for other items..