Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

VERY OT - Hey Texans! Tell Me About Lubbock.

My daughter was accepted to Texas Tech and is seriously considering attending there. Since that's half a continent away from Michigan, I was hoping to get a feel of what there is to do there and stuff.
Flint, Michigan

Comments

• TroglodyteTroglodyte Posts: 104
    edited March 2014
    They say you could drop a bowling ball in Lubbock and it would roll all the way to Dallas (it's flat).  It's dusty, but some people love it.  The good news is that there is a statue of Buddy Holly in town (native son).

-----------------------------------------------------
    Albuquerque, NM
    Large BGE, Weber Kettle, Weber Smokey Joe
  • KennyLeeKennyLee Posts: 767

Definitely a college town and all that that entails.  Certainly removed from the bigger metro areas in Texas and it is the flatlands, but on the high plains and the climate is better (in my opinion at least) than where I live 4-5 hours east, less humid summers and colder winters.  Good music scene, or so I've heard, in recent years.  I didn't go there, but the school is well thought of and everyone I know who went there really enjoyed it.  Been years since I've been there, but always enjoyed it when I went.   

Definitely not a small school even though it is in Lubbock (30K+ enrollment I think?).  I wouldn't hesitate to send any of my kids there.     

LBGE

Cedar table w/granite top

Ceramic Grillworks two-tier swing rack

Perpetual cooler of ice-cold beer

• Best Lubbock Quote ever: "Last year I watched my dog run away...........for 3 days".-Pat Green

I think Kenny Lee said it perfectly. Nothing to add there.

1- LGBE
    1- KBQ C-60 (The Dishwasher)
    I- Blackstone 36" Griddle
    1- Sweet-A$$ Roccbox Pizza Oven
    1-Very Understanding and Forgiving Wife
  • Little StevenLittle Steven Posts: 28,817
    Wasn't Charlie Dunn's boot place in Lubbock?

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• It was in Austin. Capitol Saddlery. Still around but new shop, new people etc

1- LGBE
  • The original shop is up for sale. I would kill for that sign:

1- LGBE
    Was trying to remember my Jerry Jeff Walker chronology there. He did a song about Lubbock maybe.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• henapplehenapple Posts: 15,983
    If she's happy, it's safe, gets a top notch education. ..you're good.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
    Texas is a big place too. I mean hell, you could only fit it into Ontario four or five times. You best show up Saturday son!

Steve 

Caledon, ON

Lubbock used to be a "dry" town. Pic of the liquor stores across the county line.
  • Well- the first line in "Charlie Dunn" is: "If you're ever in Austin Texas....."

Could have been a clue. 

1- LGBE
  • nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 26,361
    henapple said:
    Lubbock used to be a "dry" town. Pic of the liquor stores across the county line.
    They fixed that in 2008/2009. 

Speaking of no-shows.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Texas is a big place too. I mean hell, you could only fit it into Ontario four or five times. You best show up Saturday son!
    If you are talking to me, I'll be there. I can't guarantee the shape I'll be in but I'll be there.

1- LGBE
    Shape? Round?
    Rotund?

Steve 

Caledon, ON

Nice
  • cazzycazzy Posts: 9,058
    edited March 2014
    My co-worker was born and raised there.  I can't stand her fake self-centered ass!!  I'm sure it's just her, not Lubbock.     [-O< I still can't help but associating the two though. 
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 26,361
    cazzy said:
    My co-worker was born and raised there.  I can't stand her fake self-centered ass!!  I'm sure it's just her, not Lubbock.     [-O< I still can't help but associating the two though. 
    I hope she doesn't read this forum!

• TUTTLE871TUTTLE871 Posts: 1,316
    Went there once with a friend from A&M and watched a game. I had never seen so may tortillas in my life thrown at us.

From now on I never go to any game with him.

"Hold my beer and watch this S##T!"

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.

• TUTTLE871 said:
    Went there once with a friend from A&M and watched a game. I had never seen so may tortillas in my life thrown at us.

From now on I never go to any game with him.
    this is true.....but A&M must have gotten their ass kicked. They only throw tortillas when they score touchdowns........and they score a lot of them out there. 
    1- LGBE
  • TUTTLE871TUTTLE871 Posts: 1,316
    @The Cen-Tex Smoker‌ They did and and Tech fans tore the goal posts down also. I wanted to go see Mike Leach coach. I played against a team in high school he coached so that was awesome.

"Hold my beer and watch this S##T!"

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.

• Thanks everyone.  I read all the responses that were on topic during supper.  Very entertaining!  She also applied to University of South Florida in Tampa.  She hasn't heard from them yet.
    Flint, Michigan
  • BOWHUNRBOWHUNR Posts: 1,483
    It's kind of like Iraq only with cowboys.;)

Mike

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
    I read all the responses that were on topic during supper.  
    Is there really such a thing of "on topic" in an "off topic" thread?   :P
    @Cazzy. .yes there is. This isn't your personal blog.
    henapple said:
    @Cazzy. .yes there is. This isn't your personal blog.
    Sure it is.  I thought you knew that, but I guess not.  
  • KennyLeeKennyLee Posts: 767
    KennyLee said:

Definitely a college town and all that that entails.  Certainly removed from the bigger metro areas in Texas and it is the flatlands, but on the high plains and the climate is better (in my opinion at least) than where I live 4-5 hours east, less humid summers and colder winters.  Good music scene, or so I've heard, in recent years.  I didn't go there, but the school is well thought of and everyone I know who went there really enjoyed it.  Been years since I've been there, but always enjoyed it when I went.   

Definitely not a small school even though it is in Lubbock (30K+ enrollment I think?).  I wouldn't hesitate to send any of my kids there.     

And I would add to that that it is fairly close (4 hrs. +/-) from Ruidoso, NM for skiing, hiking, etc.  

LBGE

Cedar table w/granite top

Ceramic Grillworks two-tier swing rack

Perpetual cooler of ice-cold beer

• EggcelsiorEggcelsior Posts: 13,962
    They have the biggest personification of a douchebag fan. He sits behind the basket for men's basketball. Research Marcus Smart.
  • Marcus Smart is a hothead who should stay cool..

Flint, Michigan