Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Beef Back Ribs - Membrane(s)?

DMWDMW Posts: 10,300
I attempted Beef Back Ribs once before, and said never again. Results were terrible, texture was weird, flavor was blah.
Was at Wally World yesterday and some jumped in my cart...
Did Beef Back Ribs tonight per @nibblemethis

Results were way better. Texture and flavor were really good. I don't remember how I did it the first time, glad I don't.

Question though...Are there 2 membranes on beef back ribs? I removed the membrane, scraped off the extra fat underneath, but there still seemed to be a really tough membrane when finished. No way you could bite through it, was able to bite the meat off, but kind of odd I thought.

Anyone else noticed this? Next time I'll try to remove both, and based on tonight's results, there will be a next time.

My Facebook Page where I document my cooking
Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - 18.5" WSM - Gasser - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle

Comments

• SkinnyVSkinnyV Posts: 3,361
    My favorite ribs , not sure about you question though. Well done.
    Seattle, WA
  • lousubcaplousubcap Posts: 12,452
    The membrane that comes off with the least effort is the one you want to remove.  The "other one" keeps the ribs as a rack-same with pork ribs...FWIW-BTW-great looking cook.  Bet those were tasty!
    Louisville;  L & S BGEs, PBC, Lang 36; Burnin' wood in the neighbourhood.
  • DMWDMW Posts: 10,300
    @lousubcap‌ Thanks, appreciate the info. And yes, were very good. I think I want to tweak the rub a bit for my family's liking.
    My Facebook Page where I document my cooking
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - 18.5" WSM - Gasser - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle
  • EggpharmerEggpharmer Posts: 321
    @Mickey‌ coffee rub works great on these. One of my favorite cooks. Usually cheap too, I often find the racks on sale for abou 5 bucks each.
    Austin, TX
  • R2Egg2QR2Egg2Q Posts: 1,656
    Nice looking ribs. If you remove the second membrane the bones will very likely fall out during the cook.
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs
    Bay Area, CA