Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

And the winner is .......

Options

Last popper cook before Salado and we have a taste-tester tie. 

This morning popper permutation:

Same cast of spices and peppers except the poblano is MIA (used the last one yesterday)

Spices cream cheese getting familiar

Wonton wrappers out of the oven and cooling.  The wrappers were moistened with butter and then set into a mini muffin tin and baked at 350degrees for 15 minutes (pan too big for the small)

Made six this one survived long enough for a picture

Time for comparison.

Other half liked the wonton version, but I liked the corn taste better.  

Used biscuit cutter to make 2 inch corn 'tilla disks.  Slathered tilla disks with butter and into a frying for several minutes to crisp.

Which version will show up at Salado?  Come to the fest and find out.  See everyone in Salado.

Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx

Comments

• Chris_Wang
    Chris_Wang Posts: 1,254
    Options
    See you at Salado! My group probably won't be there until around 1P, so hopefully these will be in your afternoon arsenal.

Ball Ground, GA

ATL Sports Homer

• Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    Options
    Morning cook.  Will be doing South Texas Hash in PM.  Maybe I can hide a few....
  • Chris_Wang
    Options
    Ah, no worries... It's Aaron Franklin's fault we are going to be late. He should open at 9:30 on Salado Eggfest day.

Ball Ground, GA

ATL Sports Homer

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    If you aren't in line by 8 am, you won't be in Salado anywhere near 1pm on Saturday. Plan on a 5 hour ordeal at Franklins. There will be 200 people there by 9. 

Last time I went it wasn't even SXSW week and we were 100 people back at 9:30. We ate at 1:30.

Not saying don't go, just saying do not underestimate the Hipster Appocolypse that will be the Franklin's line on SXSW saturday. bring lots of beer (or you can buy theirs- they start serving at like 10am or so). The line is a ton of fun and the experience is great. But this Saturday above all others will be insane. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Chris_Wang
    edited March 2014
    Options
    We plan to get there at 6:45A

Ball Ground, GA

ATL Sports Homer

• Chris_Wang
    edited March 2014
    Options
    But if it looks like 6:45A will be too late, we will just head to Salado. It would be awful to stand in line from 6:45A to 11:00A, Franklin opens, then we wait another 3 hours to get nothing...

Ball Ground, GA

ATL Sports Homer

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    that's a good plan. i don't think you can get there early enough on Saturday. Straight from the bar to Franklin's!

You'll love it- it's such a cool place and Aaron is a great dude. Very generous with the pics and will sit with you and BS for a bit. And....Cazzy has artwork hanging on the walls there!

And you will die over the brisket and beef ribs. The sausage is awesome too. That's all I would get: Brisket, Beef Ribs, Sausage.....and lots of it.

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    and I bet there will be 20 people there at 6:45!
  • Chris_Wang
    Options
    I think so too with it being Saturday. The main reason for the trip, though, is Salado. We are driving from Atlanta for Salado, not Aaron Franklin. A stop at his shop is just an added little bonus. We all know @cazzy is going to light it up and knock his brisket out of the park anyway...

Ball Ground, GA

ATL Sports Homer

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    true dat. he has trained at the feet of legends. I can't wait to try it!

If it gets out of hand go to LABBQ. You can get in and out of there in an hour or less. He and Franklin are 1 and 1A in TC bbq right now. hard to tell them apart

• cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options
    that's a good plan. i don't think you can get there early enough on Saturday. Straight from the bar to Franklin's!

You'll love it- it's such a cool place and Aaron is a great dude. Very generous with the pics and will sit with you and BS for a bit. And....Cazzy has artwork hanging on the walls there!

And you will die over the brisket and beef ribs. The sausage is awesome too. That's all I would get: Brisket, Beef Ribs, Sausage.....and lots of it.

I don't know if it's up yet...still hoping he does put it up.  I didn't ask him to, he just told me several times he would and pointed exactly where he wanted to put it.
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • cazzy
    Options
    I think so too with it being Saturday. The main reason for the trip, though, is Salado. We are driving from Atlanta for Salado, not Aaron Franklin. A stop at his shop is just an added little bonus. We all know @cazzy is going to light it up and knock his brisket out of the park anyway...

I hope it lives up to the hype brother.  Looking forward to meeting you brother.  I hope cen takes one too cause I want to taste the Salado Brisket everyone went bonkers over.
  • Chris_Wang
    edited March 2014
    Options
    Great idea... But if it's out of hand we're just heading to Salado.  F Austin BBQ.

Ball Ground, GA

ATL Sports Homer

• Chris_Wang
    Options
    Sorry, eff Austin BBQ.  Don't want to offend anyone from the Sigh post...

Ball Ground, GA

ATL Sports Homer

• cazzy
    Options

Looks great Joan!!  Can't wait to try whichever one makes an appearance on Saturday.

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    I'll bring a couple. i don't use bad byron's anymore but I may do one with BB and one with S&P just to get some feedback. Hell, I may get drunk and not cook one at all. I have a cyberQ now so at least my kid is off the hook as my remote temp controller. 
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Joan- you have been hijacked. Sorry for that. Cant wait to see you Saturday

• Chris_Wang
    Options
    Yes, sorry... Looking forward to meeting you at Salado.

Ball Ground, GA

ATL Sports Homer

• Austin  Egghead
    Options
    No worries Good chatter is always informative.  See y'all on Saturday.  Will just be you and TFJ with the oldest left to cook the brisket while y'all are at SXSW?
    @Chris good luck with the 6:45AM line at Franklins.   
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    No worries Good chatter is always informative.  See y'all on Saturday.  Will just be you and TFJ with the oldest left to cook the brisket while y'all are at SXSW?
    I got a cyberQ for Chritmas just for this :)

I was kind of proud of him today- He's at a buddies cabin in West texas for the weekend. He just called me from the store because he's doing burgers for them all tonight. he needed the secret sauce ingredients :) (it's Heinz 57- not that secret)

• cazzy
    Options
    I got a cyberQ for Chritmas just for this :)

I was kind of proud of him today- He's at a buddies cabin in West texas for the weekend. He just called me from the store because he's doing burgers for them all tonight. he needed the secret sauce ingredients :) (it's Heinz 57- not that secret)

http://youtu.be/K7DnFGdqT8c
  • Austin  Egghead
    Options
    @cazzy, how do you post the tube clips?  Inquiring minds want to know, the two left thumb typist wants to know.
  • cazzy
    edited March 2014
    Options
    @cazzy, how do you post the tube clips?  Inquiring minds want to know, the two left thumb typist wants to know.
    Cick on the video you want to post, like you're going to watch it.  Click on "Share" underneath the video.  Copy the default link under "Share this Video" and paste.  Try one here

Here's another fun one.  lol

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,385
    Options
    And the buildup to Salado continues-you lucky SOB's!! The real test will be to see who surfaces on Sunday!  Could be too much fun...
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    I just copy the address in the address bar and paste 
  • cazzy
    Options
  • cazzy
    Options
    Well shoot, that works too!  LOL

Good call Cen!
  • Austin  Egghead
    edited March 2014
    Options
    @ cazzy Ok paste where.  Sorry I am so slow.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    paste in the box where you type.......right here

• cazzy
    edited March 2014
    Options
    No worries   :)   Just copy the video link from the address bar and paste it into the body of the thread.  IE...where you normally type a post.