Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

It all started when......

Options
Ok. Friday night we finally got a break from the ugly weather we had a few days last week and I walked out with the dog and saw the egg sitting there. Fire ring in the table beside it as I have been trying to "repair" the firebox with JB Weld. My repairs haven't been tested and after all the comments scaring me about potential side effects from cooling that stuff I decided Saturday was going to be egg cleaning day.

Then it happened. I saw a post about a Cuban Quesidilla and I said wow. Now having none of the necessary ingredients triggered a moment of panic. But alas, I remembered all the talk on a "turbo" butt. I figure there is no better time than the present.

Head off to Publix and picked up a 6.5 boneless (a first as well). As I am strolling through the store I noticed spaghetti squash and remembered talk of it as well. So why not. Let's grab one of those as well. But wait I say. My daughter loves bbq pizza too and her opinion is right there a tab below SWMBO. So I grab some pizza dough as well

Heading home I am thinking, you better hope this turbo thing works or we are gonna be eating at 0300 Sunday morning (and will probably be eating alone).

Anyway, I get the butt on raised and indirect at 350 with some peach and wine barrel oak, and it is humming along. New firebox doing great old one in the trash with an above legal limit application of JB weld. Check the butt around 1430 and we are at 160 IT. Man I am super smart I am thinking. I pulled it and wrapped it and put it back in and came out about 30 minutes later and discovered my tactical error. Higher temp = faster burn rate. Stuck at 200 dome and will not go higher. Don't know where I made that error or if I had a bag of faster burning RO. Anyway, pulled it and placed in the convection oven at 325 for about 90 minutes until 204 IT. Towelled and in the cooler it went at that point.

Egg reloaded for pizza and off we go. Did the spaghetti squash in the oven at 350 for about 60 minutes until I could see the strands start to seperate. Now near in mind the only yellow squash we cook a lot of down this way is sliced and in butter with onions. So I have no clue if it is down or not bit figured it looked done so why not.

Pizzas went with out a hitch and when a shredded the butt, and tasted, it was hands down the best I ever cooked. Now either the turbo method is the bomb or I really had no clue what I was doing before ( I lean towards the first option).

Shredded the squash and topped it with marinara and mozz and popped back in the oven for a bit.

Overall a great learning day and expanded my egg horizons some.

And that is all because of the group here. Would never had heard of a turbo butt or spaghetti squash if it wasn't for the forum. Pics are below. Thanks everyone for the ideas and help and fun!
In the middle of Georgia!    Geaux Tigers!!!!!

Comments