Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Whole Trout Recipes

Options
piney
piney Posts: 1,478

Does anyone have recipes for whole Rainbow Trout? I am on a low cholestrol kick (thanks Doc) and I am trying new things.

Lenoir, N.C.

Comments

• Eggpharmer
    Eggpharmer Posts: 483
    Options
    Make some hobo packs - HD aluminum foil, sliced onion and bell pepper, minced garlic, fish (works with filets or whole), favorite seasoning, dab of butter, splash of white wine. Wrap everything up and grill at 350-400 for about 20 minutes.
    Austin, TX
  • Philly35
    Philly35 Posts: 858
    Options
    Gut Brine and Smoke!
    NW IOWA
  • piney
    Options
    Philly, tell me more about this please.
    Lenoir, N.C.
  • R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    Options
    I like to brine them for an hour in a simple brine ratio of 1 TBS salt (or 2 TBS kosher) for every cup of water. Then either cedar plank them with lemon & fresh dill like this: http://bbq.about.com/od/fishseafoodrecipes/r/bl40701.htm

Or smoke them indirect around 225 until done.

I find the plank method gives a more moist trout and the smoked method a drier but smokier taste.
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • awm
    awm Posts: 181
    Options

Make some hobo packs - HD aluminum foil, sliced onion and bell pepper, minced garlic, fish (works with filets or whole), favorite seasoning, dab of butter, splash of white wine. Wrap everything up and grill at 350-400 for about 20 minutes.

I couldn't think of what to cook for dinner this evening and now I've decided, thanks.
  • Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    Options
    I normally pan-fry my trout, but that's because I'm not taking an EGG with me backpacking.
    I like both the aluminum foil and the cedar plank suggestions.  I would just say that I put seasonings both inside the trout and on the outside.  I have a salmon rub I bought that I use for trout.
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• piney
    Options
    I kinda followed Griffin"s lead on this, I stuffed with fresh thyme, sliced shallots, lemon slices and used salmon seasoning on inside and out. Placed on egg raised direct @400 for 5-6 min. on each side. They were wonderful. (Pics coming later)  
    Lenoir, N.C.
  • Philly35
    Philly35 Posts: 858
    Options
    I like to brine them for 5 days or so. There are plenty of different brine recipes online. Water, salt, brown sugar and some seasonings is pretty basic but good enough for me. As for cleaning them I like to cut the head off and slice down the belly. Pull the guts out and rinse, then throw in brine! Smoke indirect at 225 till done- the meat will pull of the bone and the skin will peel off when it's done.
    NW IOWA
  • Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    Options
    I'm a de-header as well, but a big part of that is needing to make them short enough to fit into my small backpacking frying pan.  I'm usually eating trout that are only 7-8 inches long, caught from a lake or stream up around 7,000 to 9,000 feet above sea level.  Their bones are small, but when properly cooked, and carefully done, you can remove almost all of the bones by grabbing the spine and carefully pulling it out and then also removing the fins with their associated bones as well.
    I usually end up with just a couple of bones right next to where the head was cut-off from as these were likely cut through and were no longer attached to the spine.  I rarely buy trout in the store as it never seems to be as good as what I catch.  I don't know if that is a product of wild vs farm raised, or small and young vs. older and bigger, or the freshness of straight from the stream to the frying pan, or the fact that while backpacking in the wilderness, fresh meat instead of freeze dried dinners just makes them seem so much more delicious, but I find what I eat while backpacking is so much more delectable than what I've had when buying trout from the grocery store.  it's probably a combination of all of those factors.
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.