Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Frontier Lump

Options
Sam's had Frontier lump for $9 and some change for I think 20+lb bag.  I snagged a bag because I was out of RO.  I actually really liked this lump.  Lit very quickly (with weed torch) and got up to temp very fast.  I cooked a 9.5lb butt yesterday with my pseudo turbo method (took around 7hrs) total and still had plenty left. 

Read reviews on Naked Whiz.  Appears some could take it or leave it.  I think I will take it as a good alternate.  I also did not notice the smoke taste as I did with RO.  Though I added some Hickory and Pecan for smoke, the RO delievers a little something else that I sometimes do not care for. 
------------------------------
Thomasville, NC
My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
Instagram
Facebook
My Photography Site

Comments

• Cookinbob
    Cookinbob Posts: 1,691
    Options
    I have been using Frontier for a while, BJ's had 34 lb bags for $20 so I bought in for the winter.  I like the way it lights and cooks, though a couple of the bags have been way too high in small pieces.  It may have been due to rough handling as I bought the last bags at end of season.  I plan to switch to Royal Oak, as I can't get Rockwood here.  I will try a bag of Frontier again this season though as the price is great.
    XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    edited March 2014
    Options
    I bought 2 bags #20 -#22 for $9-$10 at Sams Club. It lights quickly, burns ok, lot of uncarbonized lump so somewhat smokey, had some decent size pieces in both bags, achieves high temps with no problems (600F-800F), produces a LOT of ash that will quickly clog up the fire grate (obw I shop vac out egg after each cook to allow for proper air flow but , after two hours at 300F this lumps ash was already affecting airflow). I didn't care for the snap crackle and pop throughout the cook>>>especially when I'm reaching in to flip steaks while searing in a cast iron pan and the lump was virtually exploding. This popping was consistent on every cook on both bags and was quite smokey due to the uncarbonized pieces. For $9 bucks I guess the quality is what should be expected for the price.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options
    Cookinbob said:
    I have been using Frontier for a while, BJ's had 34 lb bags for $20 so I bought in for the winter.  I like the way it lights and cooks, though a couple of the bags have been way too high in small pieces.  It may have been due to rough handling as I bought the last bags at end of season.  I plan to switch to Royal Oak, as I can't get Rockwood here.  I will try a bag of Frontier again this season though as the price is great.

LOL......I had a place in Rochester email me a few days ago about becoming a dealer.  Garden Factory?  I sent them all the info, and they sound very interested.  If you give them a shout, it might help speed things up.  Thanks!

• tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    I did notice it got hot, quick!  The size of lump was not as big as RO, but like it was stated that could be the way it was handled.  

RO seems to leave a different smoke to my food and I am not really liking it very well.  I wanted to switch and even thought about trying Cowboy.  Nothing wrong with experimenting.  
    Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    Update>>>last of the 2nd bag and fairly large pieces, minimal popping, ash production average, not as smokey (all this lump looked to be completely carbonized), VOCs cleared fairly quick (25 minutes), easy to lite (used small piece of paper towel saturated in coconut oil (tried MAPP torch last time and there was too much popping and this method worked quickly). I will buy more of this stuff. Hard to pass up for $9-$10 per 20#-22# bag and readily available at Sams Club.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    That is what I was thinking @NPHuskerFL.  The price is nice for the product.  I cannot find my receipt but it was $9 something as well in my Sam's in Greensboro.  

I didn't find popping any worse (prob. better) than RO with the weed torch.  Found it lit quicker too than RO.    
    Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • NPHuskerFL
    edited March 2014
    Options
    @tarheelmatt...I usually use WG weekend warrior. But, come on $9 bucks for 20#-22#...Ya can't beat that! And it is not bad at all imho. I've definitely tried much worse that were much higher in cost. I also have 60# of Cowboy and agree I've been pretty happy with that as well. Each lump has its good and bad. It comes down to personal preference really. ;-)
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • Cookinbob
    Cookinbob Posts: 1,691
    Options

LOL......I had a place in Rochester email me a few days ago about becoming a dealer.  Garden Factory?  I sent them all the info, and they sound very interested.  If you give them a shout, it might help speed things up.  Thanks!

That would be great. They are a BGE Dealer, but not the one near me.  I asked the nearby one to contact you, but I guess he has not done it (Galleas Tropical Greenhouse).  I will see if I can reach anyone at the Garden Factory
    XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY
  • stlcharcoal
    Options
    Cookinbob said:

That would be great. They are a BGE Dealer, but not the one near me.  I asked the nearby one to contact you, but I guess he has not done it (Galleas Tropical Greenhouse).  I will see if I can reach anyone at the Garden Factory

I looked back, they did......I sent them the shipping rates, but never heard back.  It's hard to get charcoal that far east without the shipping just killing their margin.

Did you contact me directly back in September?  If that was you, the shipping rates have dropped considerably since then--got some contracted rates.

• B&BKnox
    B&BKnox Posts: 283
    Options
    The one bag I tried of frontier was just awful, should have been labeled campfire wood popping, cracking, smoking  Takes over an hour before you dare put food on it.  Could be just a bad bag, but I sure won't be trying again.
    Be Well

Knoxville TN
  • stlcharcoal
    Options
    Cookinbob said:

Garden Factory is good to go!!  Keep an eye out, we should have some Rockwood up there next week sometime.