Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Iced over

Options
Well it was 80 degrees yesterday so I cooked up some rainbow trout and forgot to put the cover on. Now it is freezing rain and I went out to cover but there was already a layer of ice coating the dome. Was planning on a pork loin for a weeknight meal and then chili for tonight. If the cover doesn't melt the ice, is it still safe to light the egg with a thin layer of ice on the ceramic? Don't want any cracks.

Comments

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    You are ok to light, it will thaw out just fine. Sounds like you are getting the same storm I am. Where are you located?

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • dldawes1
    dldawes1 Posts: 2,208
    Options
    Cook away !!!!!!  Ive cooked in all weather this winter....no problems.

PS.  My egg is covered in ice this morning as well. Glad I egged the brisket and PTL last night (55 degrees). 34 degrees now but it is raining and freezing rain and everything has a coat of ice already !!

Enjoying in the warm house today !!

Donnie Dawes - RNNL8 BBQ - Carrollton, KY  

TWIN XLBGEs, 1-Beautiful wife, 1 XS Yorkie

I'm keeping serious from now on...no more joking around from me...Meatheads !! 

• Boileregger
    Boileregger Posts: 614
    Options
    @Mattman3969‌ suburbs N of Dallas. This weather is crazy!
  • micheggin
    micheggin Posts: 39
    Options
    hasn't been 80 here in a long while but i use my eggs (mbge+lbge) with snow/ice on the dome and haven't had any issues.  i've gotten my eggs loaded and lit and up to 700 degrees when the weather here hasn't been above 32 degrees in weeks.  such a great grill for cold weather climates because once it's gotten up to temp it keeps a much more consistent temp than a typical metal shell grill.  any pics of that rainbow trout cook?
  • Boileregger
    Boileregger Posts: 614
    Options
    micheggin said:

any pics of that rainbow trout cook?

Sorry, no. Family was hungry and I was drinking Maker's so wasn't thinking about pics. Very simple...salt, pepper, lemon pepper, rosemary, and thyme. Raised direct about 450-500. Also grilled some lemon halves for squeezing over the top. No leftovers!