Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Austin TX spring break BBQ restaurants

Options
Good evening My family is traveling to Austin for spring break, who has the best bbq/brisket? I've heard muellers, franklins any recommendations. We have 3 days there can't wait. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Shane

Comments

• cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options
    La Barbecue - Wait/Quality Best you'll get
    Franklin Barbecue - Very good but 3-4 hour wait
    Micklethwait Craft Meats
    Stiles Switch BBQ
    John Mueller Meat Co.

If your spring break is between March 7th-16th, you will be looking at stupid waits as the population grows by about 400k due to South by Southwest.

Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    If around the 15th drive 45 mins north on I-35 to Salado EggFest NO WAIT, NO LINE. Not bad Q
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Terrebandit
    Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
    Options
    You could head south to Lockhart and get some excellent Q there. No wait.
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • TarHeelBBQ
    TarHeelBBQ Posts: 317
    Options
  • Texansurf
    Texansurf Posts: 507
    Options

There  are so many to choose from it becomes a mater of preference,  The Salt Lick mentioned above, is good, but I think it more the atmosphere than food, it's a really cool place, Franklin's is really good, but when I see hipster's I feel the urge to kill something.  Lockhart has some great BBQ, as does Luling.  Most of the Best Places only cook to a certain capacity and when they run out well, they are done serving for the day. 

Depending on where ya'll  are from, not fer (not far) can mean an hour or two of driving.  It may be worth the driving if you are driving away from the interstate, as we had the rain at the right time of the fall and should have an incredible wild-flower crop,  

http://www.texasmonthly.com/lists/50-best-bbq-joints-world

https://www.google.com/search?q=texas+wildflowers&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=6nsTU5y4NYjx2AXc3IGgBg&sqi=2&ved=0CDQQsAQ&biw=1366&bih=622

Corpus Christi, Texas.  LBGE x 2, Weber Smoky Joe, and Aussie Walk-About
  • Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    edited March 2014
    Options
    If you are going to here during SxSW I suggest get out of town. City Market in Lulling and City Market in Giddings original Mueller's in Taylor. For weekend try Snows in Lexington (go early) one that is beginning to get their restaurant legs is It's All Good (weekend). You will have to bite the bullet and stand in line for Franklins.
    Ask 100 people in central TX for a good q place and you will get 600 different answers. Ok, one more, Rudy's on 360 has pretty good pork loin. Speaking of pork, not q'd but worth a visit the Barley Swine on S Lamar ($$-$$$) but worth it.
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • cul-de-sac-er
    Options
    Thanks to all for the great input...I'm stoked about out trip may have to stay a few more days.