Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Coffee oak

Options
Went on a coffee crawl this morning. One of the stops ages their cold brew in French oak, but uses chips instead of casks to control quantity. Thoughts on using as smoke wood? Thinking about trying to make my own but no idea where to get French oak. American oak would probably work. Wondering about the toasting process. I'm not smart enough to figure this out.

Comments

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    A few years ago I was sent some coffee wood from Costa Rica and it was a great flavor enhancement for beef. Sadly  the source is no longer available, however I take coffee grounds used and dry them out and either place in a foil pouch with holes or throw a handful over the fire just before adding the steak.  Works for me.
  • plumbfir01
    plumbfir01 Posts: 725
    Options
    will it provide more of a enhanced flavor then a coffee rub? i use mickeys rub on my steaks and its pretty stellar
    Beaufort, SC