Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Anyone bought bags from the Vakshack?

Options
Looking to make a trip across the border and I want to get some cost effective bags for my FoodSaver. Im getting them shipped to the border and pick up on my way back home.

Comments

• zosobao5150
    Options
    Not yet, but you can also try myvacmaster.com as another resources.  It looks like Vakshack can send some free samples, so that might be worth trying.  I simply went to Kroger and bought some foodsaver brand bags to hold me over till I decide.
    XL BGE
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,896
    Options

No, but I buy my bags and rolls from these folks and have been quite satisfied with both the quality and prices! Food Saver prices are akin to highway robbery IMO!http://www.thesweetattack.com/catalog/item/2380629/2185510.htm

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • hondabbq
    hondabbq Posts: 1,980
    Options
    RRP said:

No, but I buy my bags and rolls from these folks and have been quite satisfied with both the quality and prices! Food Saver prices are akin to highway robbery IMO!http://www.thesweetattack.com/catalog/item/2380629/2185510.htm

There was a thread that I bookmarked a while ago with that company. The Vakshak is cheaper yet for the same size bag I want. Both have the mesh side.
  • Skiddymarker
    Options
    OK, admit I'm slow, but what am I missing here? Are Vakshack rolls that much better than Food Saver? 

I usually buy Food Saver bags in a 6 roll package:
    4 rolls 11"X16' (in other words some 64 feet of 11" material)
    2 rolls 8"X20' (in other words some 40 feet of 8" material)

The typical retail is $40 ($45 in Canada), but are often on sale for as low as $30 ($35 in Canada).

The equivalent from Vakshack, if I undersatnd the web site:
    2 rolls 8"X20' (in other words some 40 feet of 8" material) is $13
    Vakshack does not offer 11" rolls, theirs are 12". For 2 rolls 12"X20' the cost is $16 or about $0.40 per foot. Assuming you could buy just 64 feet, making it the same as Food Saver, the cost would be about $27. This means the total price is about $40 ($27+$13), which is same as Food Saver.

I've always been happy with Food Saver, never looked elsewhere because the cost always seemed to be similar. Where am I going wrong?
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,528
    edited February 2014
    Options
    OK, admit I'm slow, but what am I missing here? Are Vakshack rolls that much better than Food Saver? 

I usually buy Food Saver bags in a 6 roll package:
    4 rolls 11"X16' (in other words some 64 feet of 11" material)
    2 rolls 8"X20' (in other words some 40 feet of 8" material)

The typical retail is $40 ($45 in Canada), but are often on sale for as low as $30 ($35 in Canada).

The equivalent from Vakshack, if I undersatnd the web site:
    2 rolls 8"X20' (in other words some 40 feet of 8" material) is $13
    Vakshack does not offer 11" rolls, theirs are 12". For 2 rolls 12"X20' the cost is $16 or about $0.40 per foot. Assuming you could buy just 64 feet, making it the same as Food Saver, the cost would be about $27. This means the total price is about $40 ($27+$13), which is same as Food Saver.

I've always been happy with Food Saver, never looked elsewhere because the cost always seemed to be similar. Where am I going wrong?
    +1 on genuine Foodsaver bags.  GTA costco's had the 6-roll mixed package on sale for CAD29, twice in the last six months.
    canuckland
  • hondabbq
    hondabbq Posts: 1,980
    Options

I think your missing something according to my math.

I am looking at the 8x12 bags, 600 to be exact, for 122.75, which works out to .2045 cents per bag.

Buying the rolls for the foodsaver bought in Canada, with a 20 ft roll you will only get 20 bags per roll.

Looking at the box I bought at Costco to get me by until I could make a trip down south, the total feet per box is 104 feet. (4x 16 ft  (11x16) and 2x 20 ft ( 8x11)).

At ill say even $30, ( I have never seen it that low here) here works out to .2884 cents per bag. $35 is the sale price around here and that works out to .3365 cents per bag.

On the FS Canadian site 48 8x12 bags are 24.99, and that's even worse at .52 cents per bag.

I rarely use anything bigger than the 8x12 bags as it is only my wife and I. Ill keep the larger rolls if I need them for something.

Another issue I have with the rolls is the time it takes to seal both ends and stuff. You cant get into a rhythm as you have to seal both ends and have to wait between seals. this is more wear and tear on the heat sealing elements as well.  Plus I find I get a lot of non seals and the vacuum fails.  

The math works out for me in every way for what I use the FS for.