Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope you all had a big green St. Patrick’s Day! While you’re waiting for it to be Easter time, try some of the new recipes we’ve recently added to our website. One of our favorite dishes is the Easy Jambalaya with Beef, and our favorite sweet & savory treat is the Sweet Cream Crostini.

The Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new location and check out the museum! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Dizzy Pig to BGE Translation

So im looking at some recipes on the BGE website..and it states to use the DP BGE version of their spices.  Does anyone happen to know what spice is which?
The BGE DP Names:
Simply Zensational
cosmic cow-Cow lick?
Viva Caliente
Down and Dizzy
Kodiak River-Raging River?
Whirly Bird

http://www.biggreenegg.com/features/dizzy-gourmet/

Thanks

·

Comments

• minniemohminniemoh Posts: 1,169
    They are not the same as the regular Dizzy Pig offerings. For example, Cosmic Cow is similar to Cow Lick but with a bit more heat to it. They are a little more expensive (as is everything with the BGE logo on it) but some of them have a nice twist.
    L x2, M, S, and Mini. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!
    ·
  • EggcelsiorEggcelsior Posts: 10,449
    They are purported to be different than regular DP seasonings by Chris himself(DP owner).

I'd have to guess that they are somehow related.

Simply Zensational - Tsunami Spin
    cosmic cow-Cow lick?
    Viva Caliente -  Probably Swamp Venom
    Down and Dizzy - Dizzy Dust
    Kodiak River-Raging River?
    Whirly Bird - Shakin' the Tree

·
  • They are more expensive but the bottles are bigger. I have tried whirly bird and its not bad. I bought it when I bought the egg. 
    XL BGE 
    Joe JR 
    Reisterstown, MD
    ·
  • calikingcaliking Posts: 6,583
    My guess would be that Viva Caliente= Fajita-ish

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
    ·
  • I wish someone from dizzy pig..eh hem Chris, would tell us..or atleast get us in the ballpark if he's unable to say anything officially
    ·
  • RRPRRP Posts: 14,650
    I wish someone from dizzy pig..eh hem Chris, would tell us..or atleast get us in the ballpark if he's unable to say anything officially
    Can't say jack doodle for Chris, but if you stop and think about it for a minute then you might conclude that DP products are sold independently whether you own a Weber, BGE or a Primo or even a gas grill. OTOH the other products were developed for and sold exclusively by and through BGE. Of course they have to be different...make sense? 
    Ron
    Dunlap, IL
    ·
  • One of the dealers near me said BGE is discontinuing their name brand line of rubs and going with the Dizzy Pig line, not sure if there is any truth to this or not.
    ·
    RRP said:
    I wish someone from dizzy pig..eh hem Chris, would tell us..or atleast get us in the ballpark if he's unable to say anything officially
    Can't say jack doodle for Chris, but if you stop and think about it for a minute then you might conclude that DP products are sold independently whether you own a Weber, BGE or a Primo or even a gas grill. OTOH the other products were developed for and sold exclusively by and through BGE. Of course they have to be different...make sense? 
    Chris did say something on here a ways back once the new line came out. I'll try to find it.
    ·
    edited February 2014
    Found it.

Nature Boy Posts: 8,219
    The recipes are all unique and have not been simply renamed.

Happy cookin!
    Chris
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings

Here is the thread.

·
  • RRP said:
    I wish someone from dizzy pig..eh hem Chris, would tell us..or atleas t get us in the ballpark if he's unable to say anything officially

Yeah my dealer won't sell a Dizzy Gourmet rub to anyone unless they own a BGE. They require an original receipt to verify it.
    ·
  • aww cool. Thanks @eggcelsior
    ·
  • I believe if you look at the color coding on the BGE stuff label it is very similar to the counter part in DP.
    NW Iowa
    ·
  • Nature BoyNature Boy Posts: 8,330
    Hey y'all! You're doing pretty well. It is true that each of the Dizzy Gourmet flavors are unique recipes developed exclusively for BGE. Similarities exist to some of our own blends, mainly because the same people developed the recipes, but also because it's made at the same location with the same love and passion. I know it's human nature to want to figure out what's really going on underneath, but the only way to really tell is to cook a side by side! hehe.

Happy cookin!
    Chris
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    ·