Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

P/O'd about my mini

Options

So I recently purchased a mini egg from one of the local distributors. Actually the only local distributor who sold mini's. No one else carried them. It was also the floor model. When I went to get it, I noticed the hinge hardware looked different than it did on my large egg. It was silver. It was also kind of loose. The guy at the store tightened it up and assured me that's how the mini's hardware was. In hindsight, my gut was telling me it looked funny but I didn't listen. Some of the bolts almost looked a little bowed on the sides. I also noted some touches of what looked like rust. The inside was completely clean so it hadn't been used. I expected it had just sat in the store a while. It's a pool store so they have a lot of moisture from their hot tubs and stuff. I also noticed the little screen at the bottom had some touches of brown. Other than that, it looked perfectly fine. It didn't pay much attention to the ceramic ring on the inside other than to make sure it was there. I asked about why there was no gasket around the chimney at the top, but was told the mini's didn't have them. Again, gut screaming but stupid me not listening because I wanted to trust what the guy was telling me.

I used it for the first time last night and thats when I noticed several things. The bolts ARE bowed. The ring on the inside is not the current model, it has rounded dips and not the nice square ones so that means I can't use a plate setter. This was changed on the 2013 models so what this tells me is the store had this a long time before selling it to me. Smoke poured out of the top all around the adjustable grate so obviously it does need a gasket up there. And, there's silicone around the small silver piece at the bottom. One screw has 1 washer under it and the other has like 3. I'm guessing the silicon was to fill in the gap. WTF?!!!

I've emailed The Big Green Egg and left them a voice message about this. I am thoroughly pissed off. The store opens in about 30 minutes and I plan on calling them. I purchased it on 2/8/14 so it has not been 30 days but I don't know what the return policy is. I got 20% off when I bought it but still paid $367.22 with tax (original price was $429 before taxes), which seem overpriced to me when I saw others were getting theirs for less than $300. In truth, I'd rather pay the full price for a new egg than get 20% off an old one. If the store gives me some crap about not taking it back, they are getting an earful from me. I've spent a lot of money in that store.

ShannyShooShoo 
Owner of 1 Mini BGE and 1 Wood-fired Brick Oven.
Mother of 4 boys, 1 obese feline, 1 mean-assed chow, 1 rowdy bulldog, and 6 completely spoiled sugar gliders

Comments

• grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options
    My large doesnt have a gasket on the daisy wheel. Should it? I was at a local dealer about a week ago and they had a mini on display and when I lifted the lid it was very wobbly. He said "that's the way they are" I had the same gut feelin about that. As far as the silicone is concerned my large has silicone around the bottom vent. I'm certain that all will have the silicone since you are connecting 1 metal surface to the egg. Doesn't bother me. However if they are usin silicone to fill in big gaps that would be a huge problem with me. Take some pics please
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    edited February 2014
    Options
    Eggs don't have a gasket at the top where you put your daisy wheel. On my ceramic cap, I have put a Nomex gasket so it can snuff the fire better. Both my eggs have a silicone around the bottom vent. Bolts are supposed to be tightened until they're bowed/bent.

Don't know about the washers but that seems like a easy fix.

Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • Philly35
    Philly35 Posts: 858
    Options
    Whoops the ring broke. Good thing it's got a lifetime warranty!

I'd give them a call an see what they say. If they won't take it back they should at least give you new bands or whatever is rusted. If it's rusted already, it's only gonna get worse. A new egg shouldn't be rusty.
    NW IOWA
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    It just sounds like you got last years model. Not a big deal. The price you paid is about average they are $400 now even here in GA where they are made. I took my dremel and the tile bit and cut the round holes to square holes in my minis it took about 15 minutes so the plate setter fits fine. I also put the strip of gasket around the top I have never seen one come that way.
  • tcampbell
    Options
    Recently new eggs are coming with gaskets for the top dome cap.Our dealer will give you one if you ever purchased a egg from them.It does help .
  • shannonlcorum
    Options
    I just spoke to the girl at the store. They have a new one they just got in and are going to let me exchange mine. If you look at the videos on the Big Green Egg site on assembling, you actually do put a gasket around the chimney at the top. Not on the cap, but on the egg itself. This helps the seal tremendously and keeps your cap from flopping off if you lift the lid and forget to remove it. It sounds like they are going to fix my problem so I'm happy. I could probably have dealt with all the issues myself. But for $367 bucks, I don't want to fix issues. I wanted a new egg, new model. Guess I'm just spoiled like that. :((
    ShannyShooShoo 
    Mother of 4 boys, 1 obese feline, 1 mean-assed chow, 1 rowdy bulldog, and 6 completely spoiled sugar gliders
  • awm
    awm Posts: 181
    edited February 2014
    Options
    I got a small for christmas and the fire ring just had the rounded notches. I got my large several months before the small and it had the squared notches, so I just assuemd the small came that way. Did I get an older fire ring, or do they not make the small fire ring with the squared notches? I also didnt get any gasket for the chimney with either of my eggs?
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    They are $299 in Salado on March 15th with the stand.... Good price for Salado EggFest people. AND THE VERY LATEST MODELS.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options
    Glad it all worked out for you. I'm tempted by the KJ junior but the BGE customer support is what may be what keeps me
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• shannonlcorum
    Options
    awm said:
    I got a small for christmas and the fire ring just had the rounded notches. I got my large several months before the small and it had the squared notches, so I just assuemd the small came that way. Did I get an older fire ring, or do they not make the small fire ring with the squared notches? I also didnt get any gasket for the chimney with either of my eggs?

I don't know about the small, but the mini's fire ring changed in 2013 to have square notches so you can use a plate setter. I would imagine the small would be the same way. Which would mean you got an older fire ring. My large came with the gasket to put on. It was brand new in the box and I had to assemble it myself. Were your's in the box or already assembled? If you go to the Big Green Egg website and check out the assembly videos, it should show the gasket. If yours don't  have them, you can easily purchase replacement gaskets and put then on yourself. It makes a big difference on the stability of the caps.

ShannyShooShoo 
  • R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    Options
    I'd recommend that you measure the diameter of the cooking grid and verify that it is 10". There was a period of time when they shipped with 9.5" diameter grids which moved around too much while cleaning the grid (plus they don't fit the Woo - if you go that route).
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Don't worry about the plate sitter, you really want a Mini Woo and that way you can use the stones from Amazon. Much better for cooking. Don't forget the. Mini Wok from Ms Chan at the Wok Shop in SF.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• shannonlcorum
    Options
    Mickey said:
    Don't worry about the plate sitter, you really want a Mini Woo and that way you can use the stones from Amazon. Much better for cooking. Don't forget the. Mini Wok from Ms Chan at the Wok Shop in SF.

Thanks! I'll have to check those out. I made salmon on a cedar plank last night. Charred the crap out of my plank, but the salmon was pretty good.
    ShannyShooShoo 
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Last year when I bought a mini at salado I actually got home, unboxed it and found one of mickey's old ones.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    I love my woo for raised direct but the platesetter is better for indirect. The woo raises the grate too much so you can barely get anything in there indirect. The platesetter gives you that extra inch or 2 that really helps. I have done a 6 pound shoulder in my mini with the platesetter and was maxed out with a 4 pounder with the woo.
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    My new mini came with no gasket on top. This is probably something that they recommend but it is not standard. That's a pretty crappy deal on the old model. My local dealer quoted 290 out the door for the one she had. I was able to get a new model for even less from another dealer who was closing out stock.
  • chashans
    chashans Posts: 418
    Options
    My new Mini that came with a dome cap that was no where near fitting...even with the gasket installed. If I took about three wraps with the gasket material it might seal it then. A telephone call, two weeks ago, to BGE support (voice mail) has yet to be returned.
    LARGE, MINI BGE    SAN DIEGO, CA            An alcoholic with a barbecuing problem.