Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

last night's Steak au Poivre and burgundy mushrooms

Options
RRP
RRP Posts: 25,889
edited February 2014 in EggHead Forum
OK - I admit this was not an egg meal since it is such a quick cook and needing close attention. The burgundy mushrooms were from a large batch I had cooked for 9 hours and then divided up and froze for later use like this. Quite the delicious meal - very rich with the whipping cream and cognac! 
Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.

Comments

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Details please! I've been wanting to make this for a long time.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • RRP
    edited February 2014
    Options

caliking - Here you go!

STEAK au POIVRE

My adaptation to Alton Brown’s 2005 recipe on Food Network

Ingredients:

2 nice pieces of Sirloin or Ribeye

Kosher salt

Pepper grinder

1 T of butter

1 tea EVOO

1/3 cup plus splash more Remy Martin cognac

½ cup heavy cream

Directions:

At least 4 hours before mealtime Jaccard the meat and salt with kosher salt. Wrap or bag the meat so according to CI the salt will draw out the moisture in the meat, melt the salt and then re-absorb the salty moisture.

Then 2 hours before mealtime remove the wrapped meat and place on the counter to come to room temperature…a rack will allow air to circulate.

Grind fresh peppercorns so there are 30 grinds per side. Use back of spoon to press into the meat.

In medium skillet over medium heat melt butter and EVOO until they start to smoke. (#6 on our stove) and place meat in the pan and cook for 2 minutes and then flip for 2 more minutes. Quickly remove meat to a plate and tent it.

With skillet off the burner add the 1/3 cup cognac and carefully light it with a long match. Gently shake pan until the flames die. Return the pan to the burner on medium heat and add the cream. Bring the mixture to a boil and whisk until consistency makes it stick to the back of a spoon, which will take about 5 minutes. Add back a splash of cognac and return steaks to the pan.

Spoon the sauce over the meat and serve. Incidentally “Burgundy Mushrooms” is a delicious side dish!

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Very nice Ron! I'm wanting to try a portabella w/ sauce and pepperjack over primerib. Did the chef partake in the Cognac as well :-)
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • RRP
    Options
    Very nice Ron! I'm wanting to try a portabella w/ sauce and pepperjack over primerib. Did the chef partake in the Cognac as well :-)
    As a matter of fact I did make sure the Remy Martin VSOP I was about to use was still as tasty as I remembered from my previous cook! hehehe
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Looks good to me brother. Egged or not that is awesome.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Little Steven
    Options
    Looks great Ron. That sounds very similar to my green peppercorn sauce. I use the canned Madagascar green peppercorns in the tin and soak them out really well.
    Was it ribeye or sirloin? I'm thinking sirloin if you jaccard it.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• caliking
    Options
    Thanks! But you can't leave me hanging without the mushroom recipe :)

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Bookmarked...dang
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • RRP
    Options
    Looks great Ron. That sounds very similar to my green peppercorn sauce. I use the canned Madagascar green peppercorns in the tin and soak them out really well.
    Was it ribeye or sirloin? I'm thinking sirloin if you jaccard it.

They were two beautifully marbled rib eyes. Of late Pat has been wanting her steaks tenderized so I just took my Jaccard to them both. Actually with that tenderization and the 4 hour salting that really did let the salt enter the meat as Cook's Illustrated suggested!

• RRP
    edited February 2014
    Options
    caliking said:
    Thanks! But you can't leave me hanging without the mushroom recipe :)
    Ha! Let me dig out the link, but in the meantime here's a picture to whet your appetite! BTW for a change up at last year's Peoria Eggfest I took a big pot of these which obviously I had made in advance and they were well received.
  • RRP
    edited February 2014
    Options
    Here you go! BTW instead of the 2 teaspoons of table salt I find more salt is needed and use 4 teaspoons of coarse Kosher salt instead.
  • caliking
    Options
    Bookmarked.  Thanks. 

Just so I don't screw this up,  isn't 4 teaspoons of coarse Kosher salt about the same as 2 teaspoons of table salt?  Except for Diamond brand kosher salt...  Their grind is apparently different. 

• smbishop
    smbishop Posts: 3,053
    Options
    Thanks for sharing both recipes.  Saving for a future cook..
    Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.
  • RRP
    Options
    caliking said:
    Bookmarked.  Thanks. 

Just so I don't screw this up,  isn't 4 teaspoons of coarse Kosher salt about the same as 2 teaspoons of table salt?  Except for Diamond brand kosher salt...  Their grind is apparently different. 

I use Morton Kosher salt and on the box it clearly states that 1 teaspoon of Morton table salt is equal to 1 teaspoon of their kosher salt. My point was I doubled the salt in the recipe.  I guess I should have warned that some people who have made the recipe complained that between the salt and the 8 cubes of bouillon that they found the mushrooms to be too salty which I did not so I doubled the salt.
  • caliking
    Options
    ok. Got it. I'll go easy on the salt first time around and tweak if necessary.