Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Turbo Butt Question

Options
Hey Eggers.
I'm inspired to try the turbo method of doing a butt today.  I do have one question.  Is this method done using the plate setter, or more of a direct heat cook?  Thanks for the answers.
John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon

Comments

• JethroVA
    JethroVA Posts: 1,251
    Options
    I have good luck with place setter and drip pan. Lots of fat will render and get caught in drip pan.
    Richmond and Mathews County, VA. Large BGE, Weber gas, little Weber charcoal. Vintage ManGrates. Little reddish portable kamado that shall remain nameless here.  Very Extremely Stable Genius. 
  • jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    Options
    Cool, @JethroVA, thanks.
    I'm going for ala @RRP.  330-340, no foil.  I like a good bark.

Report and pics will follow.
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Indirect for sure. Im pretty new to egging and real new to turbo so you may want to take others advice instead of mine. But I would like to make a few points. I have been playing around with the turbo method just to see how high i could take the temps and still produce a good final product. As of now i have cooked as high as 425 with good results. Here is what i have found so far. As the cooking temp gets higher the size of the butt should get smaller. When i get the color i want i have to wrap to keep from scorching. Smaller butts seem to do much better at the higher temps so if you need a large amount of meet cook 2 small ones instead of 1 large. If you dont want to wrap i would not go any higher than 350 and i would keep the butt in the medium to small range. Im going to try a 5 pounder at 450 today. Will let you know how it turns out. Hope this helps my friend.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    edited February 2014
    Options
    I put a layer of salt in the pan to catch the drippings. That pan will make it indirect alone or use x stone as well for indirect. Heading to Seaside Sat, the other one buddy.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• jaydub58
    Options

Thanks for the info @ SGH and @Mickey.   This is an 8 pounder and easing up to 138 right now.  I don't know what sort of stall, if any, to expect with this way of cooking.  I'll find out.

Mick, now that you are finally retired, I hope you do get to the left Seaside one day.

We have some cliffs you haven't seen yet........................  

• SGH
    Options
    I dont know what temp you are cooking at but in the 350 arena and higher they dont stall much at all.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• jaydub58
    Options
    Okay, I'm right at 335-340.
  • SGH
    Options
    jaydub58 Let us know how it turns out. I will let you know how the one im doing at 450 tonight turns out.

Status- Standing by.

• jaydub58
    Options
    Will do.
  • jaydub58
    Options
    Well, here's my take on turbo butt.  I put this 8.5 pounder on at ll;30 AM yesterday and kept it at 330-340 with no foil.  Just indirect above a drip pan.
    Off and FTC at 4;30 PM.  Shredded for dinner at 6:00.  Just wonderful!   Very flavorful with a real nice bark.  I did screw ukp my camera and lost the pic of the butt all cooked, but here it is ready to go on the BGE and all pulled and ready to eat.  This will by my go-to method for butt from no on.  I sure prefer a 5 hour cook to an all-nighter..
    imageimageimage
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    Turbo is the only way to go!

------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • jaydub58
    Options
    Complete agreement, Matthew!
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Knock em out jaydub
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    Looks like you nailed it @jaybug !!!  Welcome to daytime no sleep loosing cookin

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • jaydub58
    Options
    Thanks, all!