Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Need quick help!

Hasenpheffer
Hasenpheffer Posts: 156
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I put an 11 lb Boston Butt on at 4pm yesterday. I figured it would need 19-20 hours at 220-250 degrees. Everything went great until I got up at 5am to check on things. I found the dome temp had risen to 350 degrees and the meat temp was at 181 degrees. The temp had apparently been up for quite some time because I could not get it back down quickly. I removed the butt and let it rest in the house until the temp was back at 225 (It took about an 1 1/2 hours).[p]Two questions:
1. Do I have anything to worry about as far as bacteria? While resting, the meat never got below 145.
2. Since the plateau was forced because of the high temp, is it possible to enter the plateau again?[p]Not sure what went wrong here...All my other low and slows have gone great.

Comments

• Marvin
    Marvin Posts: 515
    Hasenfeffer,
    You have no concern re: bacteria. The meat is quite safe. You will probably reenter some type of plateau, and the meat will ultimately get to whatever end point you wish. One other thing that you might do is get the meat temp to 185 or so, and instead of pulling it, simply slice it as a pork roast. that way you avoid any problem with the unmelted collagen. Let us know the outcome.

• Hasenpheffer
    Hasenpheffer Posts: 156
    Marvin,
    Thanks a bunch for info. I'm much relieved to hear the meat is safe. I really didn't want to throw out 11 lbs of pork! I'm still shooting for pulled pork but if the collagen doesn't melt off it will definately be sliced.[p]Thanks again!