Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My favorite pork chop

Daughter had a volleyball tournament in Round Rock this weekend. When it was time to drive home, I was reminded that the Austin Marathon was happening downtown. With the greatest toll road in America at my disposal, I got to drive real fast for some Lockhart BBQ and miss all the traffic. Ever have a pork chop at Smitty's? Heavenly. You have to step around a live fire to order. And the chop is out of this world. Serious case of pork chop burps tonight. Nothing better than a BBQ coma. They even slid me a few burnt ends when I asked.

XL BGE; Schertz TX by way of Stow OH. #egghead4life

Comments

• minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145
    Glad you enjoyed it. Wish I could hit that place up.

Since I've never had the pleasure of dining at Smittys - how do they do their chop? Something that could be duplicated on the egg? Sorry if this is a stupid question but I love chops and I'm always game for a new method.
    L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!
  • GQuiz
    GQuiz Posts: 701
    They pull out the whole roast and chop it an inch thick. I imagine you could get the whole roast. That's something one of the forum's experts could answer. Someone like @mickey or @lousubcap or @henapple

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Big fan of COOPER’S OLD TIME PIT BAR-B-QUE in Llano for chops. Have not made Smitty's. SCHOEPF’S OLD TIME PIT BAR-B-QUE in Belton isn't half bad and only 10 miles from me. .
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    I had no idea Smitty's even did pork chops, but then again we've been stopping at Black's more or going 15 more miles downt he road to Luling. Will have to check that out.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• GQuiz
    It's funny how lines are drawn there on that little stretch of 183. I used to go to Kreuz, but they were too inconsistent. I wasn't impressed by Black's. I do like their sauces. Smitty's is consistently good. City Market is too. I hit Luling on the way to Houston. SWMBO worked in Luling and Lockhart. I had opportunities to sample both, a lot. I do still get my cold sausages from Kreuz.

• Griffin

And I find Smitty's brisket to be inconsistent. Some days its good, some not so much. I guess it just depends on how it was the days you happened to hit it up. Not a huge fan of Kruez. Somethinga bout it just doesn't do it for me. I think its that if I go out for BBQ, I consider the whole experience part of it and I think Kruez is just lacking in that whole ambiance/atmosphere aspect. Does that make sense? It feels like its lacking soul.

Rowlett, Texas

• GQuiz
    Where as Smitty's and City Market have that feel. Completely understand. I was in Round Rock, so the 130 route took me to Lockhart. I really wanted to hit Louie Mueller's in Taylor. But we got out of the tournament too late to get there before they closed. I know Kreuz doesn't have that feel, but the cold sausages are otherworldly. They haven't messed them up.

• warwoman
    warwoman Posts: 279
    Hmmm.... I think I see where I'll go to lunch this Friday. As I've mentioned before, we're traveling thru Texas right now, and happen to be staying at a Guadalupe river house in Seguin right now.
    From the NE Georgia Mountains! Me, SWMBO, and two spoiled ass Springers!
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,794

I've been loyal to Kreuz due to knowing a friend of the owner and getting it for free many times as a result.  However, I understand what others have said about the lack of ambience because it is so large and the being herded like cattle feel that you get when they are busy.

I suspect their pork chop (which is outstanding) is similar (if not the exact same) to Smitty's.

I've always viewed that area as a barbecue marvel.  For those who are not from around here, the first time I visited there, Lockhart had a population of 11,000 and Kreuz has a capacity (according to the fire marshall sign) of something like 280.  And they compete with Black's and Smitty's in the same town.  Clearly, there are a lot of people who make the trek there daily from San Antonio, Austin and other locations. 

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• GQuiz
    And from what I understand, the locals go to Chisholm Trail. Smitty's and Kreuz are the same family. Just like LA barbecue and John Mueller in Austin and Louie Mueller in Taylor are all related. A lot of similarities. I will say the brisket has been a miss the last four visits to Kreuz. My taste isn't as fine tuned as a @cazzy. But I can certainly appreciate outstanding BBQ in a great environment. Smitty's does that for me.

• Griffin

I've wanted to stop at Chislom Trail but the drive through line is always long and we have dogs with us so can't go in and eat. I will say that their smoked ham sandwich was the bomb. Just the right hint of smoke on it.

You know that Kreuz and Smitty's have either opened up or are opening up a place together in Austin. Supposedly they took coals from both pits to start the new one. I guess they have buried the hatchet.

Rowlett, Texas

• GQuiz
    Seems like Austin is becoming the new BBQ Mecca. 'Bout time they buried the hatchet.