Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smoke for pork butts

Options
Working from home tomorrow, so tossing two 9 pounders on at midnight tonight, and just realized the only smoking wood I have is JD oak. I love oak on chicken but never done it on pork. Does it work well?
Pentwater, MI

Comments

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Yep, oak with pork is a winner.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • ShadowNick
    ShadowNick Posts: 533
    edited February 2014
    Options
    Excellent... It's definitely going to be a Frankenstein cook, as I don't have enough of a single rub to cover even just one of the butts, so getting creative tonight. Gonna be lots of rub mixing.
    Pentwater, MI
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    edited February 2014
    Options
    In NC, they use hickory or oak (or both) for their pork BBQ. It's awesome!! Here's an awesome rub mix too...

1 Tbls         salt

1 Tbls         sugar

1 Tbls         brown sugar

1 Tbls         ground cumin

1 Tbls         chili powder

1 Tbls         cracked black pepper

1 Tbls         paprika

1 tsp         cayenne pepper

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Carolina Q
    Options
    At 250° with hickory for smoke and the above rub recipe, looks like this...

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• nicklentini1
    Options
    ^^^^^^^How Long@250?^^^^^^

2 LBGE's, Mathews Z7 Extreme putting meat in my EGG, Lovin life in South FL

• nicklentini1
    Options

Oh and Looks AWESOME.

2 LBGE's, Mathews Z7 Extreme putting meat in my EGG, Lovin life in South FL

• Carolina Q
    Options
    Til it's done really. Finish temp between 195-205°. Whenever you can insert a fork or thermometer probe and meet no resistance. 1.5 - 2 hrs per pound at 250. But butts seem to have minds of their own. 

One of these days, I'll try a turbo cook. Just throw it on at 350° and let 'er rip. Lots faster and supposedly just as good.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• jhl192
    jhl192 Posts: 1,006
    Options
    One of these days, I'll try a turbo cook. Just throw it on at 350° and let 'er rip. Lots faster and supposedly just as good.
    I tried my first Turbo cook this weekend.  While still very good, I found the temperature variations were larger than on the low and slow.  I had some meat that was 207 and slightly drier and some that was still 195 .  I will try it again.  Certainly liked the ability to put it on in the morning and eat it at night.  Especially when its cold outside.  
    XL BGE; Medium BGE; L BGE