Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

The butcher didn't remove the pork roast's shine bone! Ideas for doing farmer-style ribs?

winojeff
winojeff Posts: 67
I guess I either return the roast to the butcher to have the shine bone removed, or I cut the meat from the bones and settle for a large loin of pork, not the farmer-style ribs we all love!
Ideas for ribs??

Comments

• Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    Pic?
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    If you paid for the bone to be cut away, take it back, and get the work done. Assuming the meat will still be reasonably fresh and safe after another round of butchering.

Otherwise, I hope you have a decent knife, or even a crappy one, and maybe a hacksaw and a cutting glove. Remove the bone yourself. It will be a learning experience. First time will likely be sloppy and tedious. After a few more attempts, you are likely to wonder why you paid someone a buck a pound for work that takes a couple of minutes.

• I look forward to becoming a home butcher. The cut of meat with the back ribs are fabulous!!
    Thanks. I will finally be able to find the use for my cleaver.

• winojeff
    winojeff Posts: 67
    Yep, the first attempt to butcher out the shine bone was a learning experience. But, I trimmed the roast and egged the scraps for my midday snack. Fabulous.
    My second shine bone butchering, today, went fine. But I 'accidentally' ended up with some generous scraps on the bones, and they will be ready for my sampling in a couple of hours.
    As those bones are attached to the baby back ribs by cartilage, it's not too hard to separate the bones with a bread knife.
    Thanks.
    Winojeff
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Interesting article on removing the chine bone