Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket Advice Solicited

Options
DMW
DMW Posts: 13,832
Just picked up this 14lb Superior Angus Beef Choice from Restaurant Depot. It is nice and floppy, more so than any I've done before. I've never done one this large before and have a few questions.

1) I'd like to try just salt/pepper. What ratio, 50/50?

2) Temp - I'm thinking 250* dome, setting up the PS so the opening is toward the hinge. Put the point end back toward the hinge.

3) Rough timing. Plan for 1.5 hr / lb with buffer for FTC?

Thanks in advance,
imageimage
They/Them
Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker

Comments

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    1)Yes

2)Yes, temp can even go to 275 if you want.

3)Yes, roughly. The last one I did that big(15 untrimmed to 12 trimmed) went for a little under 1 hour/lb. They can have a mind of their own.

How much per lb? I have yet to stop by the one here in Baltimore.
  • DMW
    Options
    @Eggcelsior Thanks for the confirmations. It was $3.10/lb, they also had regular Choice (not SAB) for $2.85/lb, I liked this one for it's feel.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options
    That's a great looking brisket!  

Remember...50/50 by weight, not volume!  Don't cake it on like it's a normal rub either.  Nice even coating.

Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • DMW
    Options
    cazzy said:
    That's a great looking brisket!  

Remember...50/50 by weight, not volume!  Don't cake it on like it's a normal rub either.  Nice even coating.

Yep, I've gone to weight for almost everything now, and the coarseness of the grind is all over the place, especially when I grind my own pepper. Thanks for the tip on how to apply, I probably would have over done it.

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• DMW
    Options
    @cazzy One other question, how long should the S&P be applied to the brisket? Just before cooking, or apply and keep in fridge for a few hours, or something else?

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• cazzy
    edited February 2014
    Options
    I typically follow this workflow:

• Pull it out of the fridge 
    • Unwrap and trim immediately 
    • Start fire and stabilize at 250
    • Add chips or chunks
    • Season brisket and throw it on 
    I always try to have my brisket out of the fridge and at room temperature for one hour.  So you could say I season at 55 minutes as it only takes a few minutes.  This is the way "I do it" though...several people believe in seasoning before hand and let it caramelize (made popular by Johnny Trigg) or even seasoning it the night before.  That always seemed like a unneeded step to me.  I have never had a under seasoned brisket or crappy bark so I guess it works.  lol
  • DMW
    Options
    cazzy said:
    I typically follow this workflow:

• Pull it out of the fridge 
    • Unwrap and trim immediately 
    • Start fire and stabilize at 250
    • Add chips or chunks
    • Season brisket and throw it on 
    I always try to have my brisket out of the fridge and at room temperature for one hour.  So you could say I season at 55 minutes as it only takes a few minutes.  This is the way "I do it" though...several people believe in seasoning before hand and let it caramelize (made popular by Johnny Trigg) or even seasoning it the night before.  That always seemed like a unneeded step to me.  I have never had a under seasoned brisket or crappy bark so I guess it works.  lol
    Thanks, that sounds like a plan. Going to throw this on tomorrow night and let it go as the snow rolls in. I already filled my charcoal and mixed a few hickory chunks in. I'll probably just toss 1 chunk on top once it's stable before I put the brisket on.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• cazzy
    Options
    What is your target time?

• DMW
    Options
    Thursday night around 6. I'm figuring I'll put it on around 9:30PM Wed night. If it finishes early I can FTC. Timeline sound OK? Have some neighbors joining us, exact time isn't important, but don't want to be eating around 8 either
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• DMW
    Options
    @cazzy Sorry, one more question. Any binder applied before the S&P? I'm guessing not, just sprinkle it on, no OO or mustard?
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• cazzy
    Options
    The 11lb brisket I did this weekend was thrown on at 12:30am and I pulled it off at 4pm.  I think you'll be good with 9:30pm...but every brisket is different though.  The angus packer may cook differently than others you've done, so just keep an eye on it and let it run it's course.  It may be done early...but like you said...FTC.

• cazzy
    Options
    DMW said:
    @cazzy Sorry, one more question. Any binder applied before the S&P? I'm guessing not, just sprinkle it on, no OO or mustard?
    What's a binder?   :P
  • cazzy
    Options
    Now I have a question for you.  A friend told me to get a membership at Restaurant Depot.  He said just to make up a Tax ID number.  

How did you get yours?
  • DMW
    edited February 2014
    Options
    cazzy said:
    Now I have a question for you.  A friend told me to get a membership at Restaurant Depot.  He said just to make up a Tax ID number.  

How did you get yours?
    I joined KCBS, just showed them my KCBS card and the link from KCBS discount page with an ID number noted on it. You are only supposed to get a day pass (unlimited amount), but they printed me a card so I can just scan it when I go back. I didn't have much time to browse today, but wow...I need to go back when I have a few hours to browse around.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA