Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

The Culinary Institute of America - San Antonio

I've been sitting on a CIA gift card for about 13 months and the wife started giving me hard time about it since it was a birthday present.  I signed up for a class about a month ago and I must say, I'm getting pretty excited about it.   :D

I decided on the following course as I think it will be very beneficial down that road and can definitely help elevate any dish.

Classic and Contemporary Sauces (San Antonio, TX)

Sauces are among the first true test of a cook’s skill. The ability to produce a perfectly balanced vinaigrette, a creamy and subtly flavored mayonnaise sauce, and a silky, full-bodied pan gravy is a skill that can be learned and honed throughout years of experience. In this class, you will learn the basic characteristics and techniques for preparing a range of classic and contemporary sauces such as emulsions, coulis, and more. You’ll also discover the ideal foods to pair with these sauces, along with presentation techniques. 

Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....

Comments

• jscarfo
    jscarfo Posts: 405
    Sounds like a great class
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    We fully expect a posting each class night of what is learned. As of now when I put in the ingredients for a sauce  on the Egg it just runs down the grill to the firebox?????????
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    I agree!  I can't wait for Saturday!

They had a Italian and Pasta class, but I thought the sauce class would help with any cuisine.  
  • cazzy said:
    I've been sitting on a CIA gift card for about 13 months and the wife started giving me hard time about it since it was a birthday present.  I signed up for a class about a month ago and I must say, I'm getting pretty excited about it.   :D

I decided on the following course as I think it will be very beneficial down that road and can definitely help elevate any dish.

Classic and Contemporary Sauces (San Antonio, TX)

Sauces are among the first true test of a cook’s skill. The ability to produce a perfectly balanced vinaigrette, a creamy and subtly flavored mayonnaise sauce, and a silky, full-bodied pan gravy is a skill that can be learned and honed throughout years of experience. In this class, you will learn the basic characteristics and techniques for preparing a range of classic and contemporary sauces such as emulsions, coulis, and more. You’ll also discover the ideal foods to pair with these sauces, along with presentation techniques. 

Very cool man! I would love to do that. How long are the classes?

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• TUTTLE871
    TUTTLE871 Posts: 1,316
    A friend of mine had gone to a few classes there last year and said it was a great experience and learned a lot.

The facility where it's located is pretty cool as well. You should have a lot of fun.

"Hold my beer and watch this S##T!"

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.

• cazzy
    5 hours.  Check out more of the courses here:

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Suh-weet! My wife keeps pushing me towards cooking as a job. Let me know how it goes. I have taken classes at this place: http://www.culinaerie.com/

It is a blast!
  • cazzy
    edited February 2014

TUTTLE871 said:
    A friend of mine had gone to a few classes there last year and said it was a great experience and learned a lot. The facility where it's located is pretty cool as well. You should have a lot of fun.
    Great to hear!  

Something tells me that I won't be able to take my camera lol
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Are going or teaching the damn class?
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • cazzy
    Suh-weet! My wife keeps pushing me towards cooking as a job. Let me know how it goes. I have taken classes at this place: http://www.culinaerie.com/

It is a blast!
    Niiiice!  I don't know how long it will be, but I will have my own restaurant or trailer one day.  Have a lot to learn about the industry though.  The wife and I have already talked about it, but I eventually will quit my job and start over in the food industry to get a couple years of experience.  Need to learn more about operations.  
  • cazzy
    henapple said:
    Are going or teaching the damn class?
    Haha...no.  I need to go learn how to cook so I can stop taking credit for all the food and BBQ my wife makes!
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Jealous!!! I've been looking at the course catalog for The Restaurant School in Philadelphia.

I would really like to have a catering business someday, not sure if it will ever pan out.

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Would love to have a hot dog and Frozen Custard trailer some day. From what I have read you do not need all the health permits like other foods.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Mickey said:
    Would love to have a hot dog and Frozen Custard trailer some day. From what I have read you do not need all the health permits like other foods.

Truth.  You can hide anything in hot dogs and custard.
    NOLA
  • I love that it's called the CIA.  They kill with cooking.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Very cool man! I would love to do that. How long are the classes?
    You should! If you still go to New Haven from time to time, the CIA's main campus in Hyde Park NY is almost on your way! Business trip = business expense?  :D

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Very cool man! I would love to do that. How long are the classes?
    You should! If you still go to New Haven from time to time, the CIA's main campus in Hyde Park NY is almost on your way! Business trip = business expense?  :D
    Oddly enough most of  what I know about cooking is from reading and re-reading the New Professional Chef by CIA

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• HDumptyEsq
    HDumptyEsq Posts: 1,095
    For Christmas back in 2007 SWMBO bought me a week's "boot camp" at the CIA in Hyde Park. I opted for French Cooking. It was more fun than you can legally have this side of the sheets! We worked our asses off in class and the kitchen and shared our food for lunch. They took us on speciality courses in the afternoons, like 'table side service'. They entertained us in their restaurants in the evening and we were treated like proper chefs by the students. I'll never forget it and still use their techniques at home

Tony in Brentwood, TN.

Medium BGE, New Braunfels off-set smoker, 3-burner Charbroiler gasser, mainly used for Eggcessory  storage, old electric upright now used for Amaz-N-Smoker.

"I like cooking with wine - sometimes I put it in the food." - W. C. Fields

• cazzy
    edited February 2014
    Well it was a pretty cool class! We were devided into 4 teams and had a protein and 3 different sauces on all but 1 team. The 4th team had grilled veggies and 3 sauces.

They had a demo here and there to see what the other teams were doing. Would I say I'm a better cook because of this class? Maybe a lil bit, but I have several recipes and saw how each sauce was paired with different protiens.

At the end, we had a pretty awesome buffet style meal together. Really cool experience and they gave us a cook book and we kept our aprons.

I was responsible for the beef tenderloin...I know, way to put yourself out there. It actually worked out perfect cause I was able to float around as I did the steaks at the very end. They had Domino Kosher Salt and it's very fine, so it looked like more salt than it probably was. I definitely could have used more, but it was fine since we had plenty of sauces to go with it!

Fun day and I encourage you to do a class as it was pretty badass to be in a professional kitchen. I will likely sign up for the knife class and a meat fabrication class if they have one.

Pics to come later!
  • I've done similar classes here in Atlanta at the Art Institute School of Culinary Arts. One my favorites was Sauces. Everything from vinegrette to demiglase. I highly recommend them to anyone even vaguely interested.
    Marietta, East Cobb, GA
  • cazzy said:
    Well it was a pretty cool class! We were devided into 4 teams and had a protein and 3 different sauces on all but 1 team. The 4th team had grilled veggies and 3 sauces. They had a demo here and there to see what the other teams were doing. Would I say I'm a better cook because of this class? Maybe a lil bit, but I have several recipes and saw how each sauce was paired with different protiens. At the end, we had a pretty awesome buffet style meal together. Really cool experience and they gave us a cook book and we kept our aprons. I was responsible for the beef tenderloin...I know, way to put yourself out there. It actually worked out perfect cause I was able to float around as I did the steaks at the very end. They had Domino Kosher Salt and it's very fine, so it looked like more salt than it probably was. I definitely could have used more, but it was fine since we had plenty of sauces to go with it! Fun day and I encourage you to do a class as it was pretty badass to be in a professional kitchen. I will likely sign up for the knife class and a meat fabrication class if they have one. Pics to come later!
    So what did you learn about sauces?

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Omg...not a Cazzy's sauce thread.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • I was hoping he could recite the five mother sauces and all of their derivitives

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• cazzy
    cazzy said:
    Well it was a pretty cool class! We were devided into 4 teams and had a protein and 3 different sauces on all but 1 team. The 4th team had grilled veggies and 3 sauces. They had a demo here and there to see what the other teams were doing. Would I say I'm a better cook because of this class? Maybe a lil bit, but I have several recipes and saw how each sauce was paired with different protiens. At the end, we had a pretty awesome buffet style meal together. Really cool experience and they gave us a cook book and we kept our aprons. I was responsible for the beef tenderloin...I know, way to put yourself out there. It actually worked out perfect cause I was able to float around as I did the steaks at the very end. They had Domino Kosher Salt and it's very fine, so it looked like more salt than it probably was. I definitely could have used more, but it was fine since we had plenty of sauces to go with it! Fun day and I encourage you to do a class as it was pretty badass to be in a professional kitchen. I will likely sign up for the knife class and a meat fabrication class if they have one. Pics to come later!
    Honestly not a whole lot because of the structure.  Our team made the following sauces:

Roasted Red Pepper Coulis
    Blackened Tomato Salsa
    Bechamel for the Mac and Cheese

I was excited to see the process for properly executing the bechamel sauce.  It also showed me what I did wrong when my sauce broke last time.  

The other teams made:

Jus Lie
    Peanut Sauce
    Apple Chutney
    Jalapeno Cilantro Compound Butter 
    Romesco sauce
    Beet Vinaigrette
    Sriracha Aioli
    Pan Gravy
    Pineapple Chutney
    Red Pepper and Kim Chi Ketchup
    Asian-Style Barbecue Sauce

So while we were able to taste those sauces with their recommended protein or vegetable, the structure didn't allow you to make any of the other sauces on the other teams.  The demos weren't too beneficial because we had things to get done and couldn't always see them.   I would have preferred to have like 10-15 sauces, watch a demo, then execute the sauce.  That's why I mentioned I don't really think i'm a better cook because of this class.  It was still fun though.  
  • cazzy
    I was hoping he could recite the five mother sauces and all of their derivitives
    Nope...that wasn't covered but i've actually read about the five mother sauces.
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,830
    edited February 2014

bacon grease, Crisco, hamburger grease, chicken stock, and vinegar?  Those were my mother's 5 sauces.

I didn't realize she was so famous.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• cazzy said:
    cazzy said:
    Honestly not a whole lot because of the structure.  Our team made the following sauces:

Roasted Red Pepper Coulis
    Blackened Tomato Salsa
    Bechamel for the Mac and Cheese

I was excited to see the process for properly executing the bechamel sauce.  It also showed me what I did wrong when my sauce broke last time.  

The other teams made:

Jus Lie
    Peanut Sauce
    Apple Chutney
    Jalapeno Cilantro Compound Butter 
    Romesco sauce
    Beet Vinaigrette
    Sriracha Aioli
    Pan Gravy
    Pineapple Chutney
    Red Pepper and Kim Chi Ketchup
    Asian-Style Barbecue Sauce

So while we were able to taste those sauces with their recommended protein or vegetable, the structure didn't allow you to make any of the other sauces on the other teams.  The demos weren't too beneficial because we had things to get done and couldn't always see them.   I would have preferred to have like 10-15 sauces, watch a demo, then execute the sauce.  That's why I mentioned I don't really think i'm a better cook because of this class.  It was still fun though.  
    The New Professional Chef is pricy but worth ever penny. I think they have DVDs now too.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Sounds like a good time. I'd love to take a class like that. I went through the first part of the interview process at the cordon bleu here in Dallas a few years back but didn't go through with it. Time and money were an issue.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• cazzy
    Walked up and saw the CIA students cooking a whole hog for the Farmers Market.  

Pretty dope mac & cheese w/ bacon

My team is ready to go!  

The filets were on me...pressure?  Nah...easy peasy!

Some thick, some thin, so they ranged from medium-rare to medium-rare plus.  

Grilled veggies surrounded by assorted sauces.

Roasted chicken

The rest of the spread

The good thing is that I definitely know which sauces I want to try and which ones I don't.  It will be fun practicing!  :)   Didn't learn a ton, but it was fun and we finished with a great meal.