Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Charleston, SC influence

I was in Charleston this week on business. It influenced tonight's meal. Classic pork chop. I had collard greens which is a staple on most menus in Charleston. Then I decided to spice up a southern classic by having grits with cheddar cheese and garlic. Very very good meal tonight. First time I've egged in about six weeks so it felt good to get back into the swing of things.

Comments

• Tackman
    Tackman Posts: 230
    Was in Charleston last summer. Ate at Husk. Good times. Good times.
    Cleveland, Ohio
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    Looks like a good cook. Do you have a recipe for the grits? Those look real tasty too!

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Tackman said:

Poogans Porch is nearly next door. Good times as well.
  • Pork chops and grits ok. Pork chops and greens ok. But grits and greens on the same plate. Man does that look and sounds good. Nice!
    XL owner in Wichita, KS
  • Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,024
    Looks great! I lived in Charleston for12 years and never did the touristy stuff or tried too many of the restaurants downtown. But last month, we vacationed there with my wife's family from Baltimore. Had an absolute blast. We ate at The Ordinary, Husk, King Street Grille, AW Shucks, Toast, Basil and a couple other places. Toast and Husk had a phenomenal brunch and The Ordinary had amazing seafood.
  • Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    Tackman said:

I have eaten at most Charleston restaurants, there about once a month. I don't get the fascination with Husk. Mostly hype in my opinion. I like the bar though.
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • HDumptyEsq
    HDumptyEsq Posts: 1,095
    Husk opened in Nashville about a year ago. Hard to get reservations but worth it if you know you're coming to town. Sunday brunches so good you want to wear it on your head!

Tony in Brentwood, TN.

Medium BGE, New Braunfels off-set smoker, 3-burner Charbroiler gasser, mainly used for Eggcessory  storage, old electric upright now used for Amaz-N-Smoker.

"I like cooking with wine - sometimes I put it in the food." - W. C. Fields

• Wife and I visited Charleston for the first time this year. I'd recommend it to anyone. Beautiful place with amazing food.
    Brunch at Poogans Porch was one of the best meals I've ever had.
    We can't wait to go back.
  • Wife and I also went to Charleston last year for the first time.  Sorry to say, I can't remember which restuarants we went to, but loved the whole area.  My favorite thing was all the spices we picked up in the open air market.  Next time down I'll get even more.

Damascus, VA.  Friendliest town on the Appalachian Trail.

LBGE Aug 2012, SBGE Feb 2014

• finster
    finster Posts: 136
    For all ya'll still reading this post,the Food and Wine festival is in 1 month!  Check out Pigs, Rigs, and Swigs on March 8th. No snow here, but "only" 40 now.
    MBGE in Charleston