Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.


In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

I could almost shed a tear

Many of yall may know Don Marco or remember his beautiful egg set-up. See here for the reminder or introduction:

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1139404/must-see-pics-just-finished-my-egg-center/p1

I can't sleep, so I'm browsing on the brethren and run into a thread he just posted:

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=181301

What a bummer. :(
Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....

Comments

  • SkinnyVSkinnyV Posts: 3,337
    Ouch....that stung. That darn high resale did em in.
    Seattle, WA
  • Carolina QCarolina Q Posts: 10,715
    edited February 2014
    Wow! He was the BGE Distributor in Germany. Somethin' must have gone seriously south!!

    I do like the black look though. 
    :D

    I will not eat oysters. I want my food dead. Not sick, not wounded... dead.

                                                      Woody Allen

    Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

  • I love those things

    Steve 

    Caledon, ON

     

  • hapsterhapster Posts: 7,431
    Very nice... the end results will likely be the same high quality cooks as always. It's a shame that his relationship with BGE had to end, though I'm sure he could have provided a better explanation for the break up with out giving out all of the details...

    His explanation implies that BGE did something wrong or acted in a less than ethical manner in living up to whatever agreement they had in place. That implication seems to be very out of character based on BGE's customer service record and reputation; I think they would likely be conducting business with their partners in the same spirit that they serve their customers...
  • Still....that's one heck of a cooking set up....geez
    LBGE and Primo XL Plano TX All right all right alllll riight
  • EggcelsiorEggcelsior Posts: 13,018
    edited February 2014
    hapster said:
    Very nice... the end results will likely be the same high quality cooks as always. It's a shame that his relationship with BGE had to end, though I'm sure he could have provided a better explanation for the break up with out giving out all of the details...

    His explanation implies that BGE did something wrong or acted in a less than ethical manner in living up to whatever agreement they had in place. That implication seems to be very out of character based on BGE's customer service record and reputation; I think they would likely be conducting business with their partners in the same spirit that they serve their customers...
    I'm really curious as to what happened. I did business with his rub company and the experience was top notch. Something big must have happened if he just up and dumped 7 eggs.
  • thetrimthetrim Posts: 1,788
    He's as solid of a guy as there is. He lives about 20 minutes from my uncle in Germany and hosted him and my inlaws on a recent visit. 

    And his rubs are amazing BTW
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • EggcelsiorEggcelsior Posts: 13,018
    thetrim said:
    He's as solid of a guy as there is. He lives about 20 minutes from my uncle in Germany and hosted him and my inlaws on a recent visit. 

    And his rubs are amazing BTW
    I completely agree. I have every single one he makes.
  • cazzycazzy Posts: 8,874
    I'd like to try them someday now, but i have too many now. Not to mention, I have my homebrew rubs dialed in.
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • Does anyone have a link for his rubs?
  • thetrimthetrim Posts: 1,788
    Last I checked you couldn't buy in the US.  I got some on a visit there and my uncle brought some over on a visit here
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • cazzycazzy Posts: 8,874
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • The black primos do look better ... no doubt about it.
    My PitMaster IQ120 FREAKIN ROCKS!!!!!!! Current BGE arsenal: XL & MiniMax
  • buzd504buzd504 Posts: 2,134
    Don't know that they would accentuate your Pitmaster properly, though.
    NOLA
  • thetrimthetrim Posts: 1,788
    Looking at the pictures more closely, I think the only reason he switched was because the have a Jack Daniels log edition.  He is quite the fan of JD
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • thetrimthetrim Posts: 1,788
    Just saw that they are Tucker, GA based as well

    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • Cazzy that reminds me of 98'

    Seattle. LBGE. Vikings. Beer. YETI 75. YETI Colster.

  • thailandjohnthailandjohn Posts: 952
    edited February 2014
    If it means anything to anyone, the Big Green Eggs are made in Mexico and the Primo is made in the USA
  • cazzycazzy Posts: 8,874
    EGG_Daddy said:
    Cazzy that reminds me of 98'
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • KennyLeeKennyLee Posts: 739

    The move to Primo aside, I'm just curious about the guy himself.  A Texan living in Germany?  I guess he has a restaurant there?  Definitely a cool setup.

    LBGE

    Cedar table w/granite top

    Ceramic Grillworks two-tier swing rack

    Perpetual cooler of ice-cold beer

  • EggcelsiorEggcelsior Posts: 13,018
    KennyLee said:

    The move to Primo aside, I'm just curious about the guy himself.  A Texan living in Germany?  I guess he has a restaurant there?  Definitely a cool setup.

    He is German but likes Texas. I can't remember if he lived there or not.
  • KennyLeeKennyLee Posts: 739
    That's cool.....that setup looks like something you'd find in the Hill Country somewhere.  Love it.  Guess that comports with the old saying that Texan is not only where you reside, but a state of mind.  Kinda like Margaritaville :)

    LBGE

    Cedar table w/granite top

    Ceramic Grillworks two-tier swing rack

    Perpetual cooler of ice-cold beer

Sign In or Register to comment.
Click here for Forum Use Guidelines.