Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

a different Bacon discussion.

Making ABT's recently, my family discovered that the bacon that wraps the peppers is about the best ever. Anyone ever cook store bought bacon right across the grate?
Making the neighbors jealous in Pleasant Hill, Ia one cook at a time...

• No, but I have cooked it on a griddle on the grill.  Works great.
    Large BGE Decatur, AL
  • Little StevenLittle Steven Posts: 28,817
    edited February 2014
    Pig candy. Lay out your bacon and sprinkle with turbinado sugar and cayenne. Go indirect with a drip pan at 400* flipping once until it's crispy.

Edit: If you just want beautiful cooked bacon omit sugar and cayenne

Caledon, ON

• Thanks!
  • I cooked some right on the grate last night to put on some venison burgers. I did it indirect at 400 dome. It smoked like a freight train and I had to keep an eye on it so the ends hanging over the plate setter didn't burn, but it was some tasty bacon when it was done. I did have to let the bacon grease burn off for a few minutes before I put the burgers on.
    Decatur, AL
  • FoghornFoghorn Posts: 6,014
    I do it all the time.  If you keep it around 300 on an indirect cook it is hot enough to cook the bacon evenly and in reasonable time - but not typically hot enough to get a grease fire on the platesetter.  Depending on how much I am cooking I sometimes use a drip pan the is not directly sitting on the platesetter (elevated by foil balls) to catch the grease.  It is the best bacon I've ever had.

XL BGE, Klose BYC, ProQ Excel, Weber Kettle, Firepit, Grand Turbo gasser, and a portable Outdoor Gourmet gasser for tailgating

San Antonio, TX

• henapplehenapple Posts: 15,983
    I cook it raised over baked potatoes ..indirect
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • TonyATonyA Posts: 582
    I've cooked it folded back and forth on skewers and that went over big.
  • Thanks!
    I forgot to mention that the strips closer to the edge will cook faster so when you turn exchange the furthest out to the closest in.

Caledon, ON

• Turned out great...thanks for the advice