Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

off topic. Houston Texas

Options
Sorry for being off topic but I've notice several on here from the Houston area.Going to be in Houston on and off for awhile just wandering if I need to know anything good r bad. Thanks for you time.

Comments

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Ask @Caliking. I'd hit pappasitos.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    henapple said:

Ask @Caliking. I'd hit pappasitos.

Pappasitos is quite good. I went when my FIL still lived in Houston. I'm a NASA dork so Mission Control was sweet.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    If you can, hit Perry's. Their humongous pork chop is nothing short of a meatgasm.

What kind of chow do you like? Believe it or not, Houston has a terrific Chinatown, but you will need a car. I know many great places if you are interested.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • tcampbell
    Options
    caliking said:
    If you can, hit Perry's. Their humongous pork chop is nothing short of a meatgasm. What kind of chow do you like? Believe it or not, Houston has a terrific Chinatown, but you will need a car. I know many great places if you are interested.
    We will be at MD Anderson and would like to know about places fairly close.Could you drive to the coast and back in a day.
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,844
    Options
    From MD Anderson it is about an hour to the beach at Galveston.  If you are there for dinner eat at Gaido's.  The food is excellent and they have a great beer selection.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Since you're visiting the Anderson, I wish you and yours strength and health. 

Pappasito's is a decent place. Nellore is a good churrascaria near the medical center. Hollywood has decent Vietnamese. Hugo's is a nicer Mexican place that I really like. Make reservations for their  Sunday brunch if you can. There are some Indian places not far from the medical center too. Tons of good Asian places in town - sushi, Chinese, Malaysian, etc.  If you let me know what your budget and tastes are like, I can give better recommendations. 

Houston Yelpers are a pretty good bunch, so anything rated 4 stars on Yelp is usually good. You canmake it to Galveston in about an hour or so, but it will be windy and possibly cold at the beach. I hear Lake Jackson is nice, but I've never been down there. Also check the Chowhound boards for medical center area recs.  

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • tcampbell
    Options
    Thanks eveyone
  • JOJayhawk
    Options
    Wishing you good luck at M.D.Anderson. I've been taking my wife there for close to 10 years now. They do great things there and have given us a lot of extra time.
    Overland Park, Kansas
    XL
  • tcampbell
    Options
    JOJayhawk said:
    Wishing you good luck at M.D.Anderson. I've been taking my wife there for close to 10 years now. They do great things there and have given us a lot of extra time.
    Thank you.My wife is the one fighting cancer and we have heard great things.Do you live in Houston?