Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Good or bad beef ribs?

LitLit Posts: 6,778

Are these the good beef ribs or bad ones? I did beef ribs once and they were nasty and I havent tried them again since so I'm hoping these are the right ones? If they are the good ones I cook to 190 I think right? In case they are the bad ones I picked up a brisket and 2 picnics from RD as well so the eggs should be busy this weekend either way.

Comments

• MickeyMickey Posts: 18,612
    edited February 2014
    Turbo Beef Ribs Indirect 350. Pull membrane, Rub-mustard-rub, cherry wood. Used coffee rub.
    Salado TX Egg Family: 2 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max (I'm good for now). 

• cazzycazzy Posts: 9,054
    edited February 2014
    I wouldn't call them bad, but they're not what everyone has been posting the last few weeks. I think yours are beef back ribs.

I'd imagine they would need to go upwards of 190 like any other beef or pork rib. I'm sure they'll taste great!
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
    imageimage
    Salado TX Egg Family: 2 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max (I'm good for now). 

• LitLit Posts: 6,778
    Sucks I got the wrong ones. Gonna smoke 2 racks and new plan going to try to sous vide the 3rd rack. Maybe one low and slow and one turbo. @Mickey what cook till 190-200? Just salt and pepper?
    Lit said:
    Sucks I got the wrong ones. Gonna smoke 2 racks and new plan going to try to sous vide the 3rd rack. Maybe one low and slow and one turbo. @Mickey what cook till 190-200? Just salt and pepper?

Just can't say on temp. I didn't check. Sorry. Damn, they were good.

• Just make sure they are well done.  They will be fine.

XLBGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to my daughter), MBGE and lots of toys

• lousubcaplousubcap Posts: 15,392
    @Lit-based on the pics they are beef back ribs (same packaging started to show up in the local Kroger stores).  They turn out great but not as much meat as the other cuts you may have recently read about.  
    I go indirect at around 250*F on the dome for about 3 hours, then foil (much as I hate that step) for about 90-100 mins then out of the foil and back on the grill for around 20 mins.  Look for some serious meat pull-back from the bones. Never have checked the temps of the ribs-season with Montreal steak seasoning (go lite due to salt content) but would be great with kosher salt and fresh ground pepper.  FWIW-YMMV.
    Louisville;  L & S BGEs, PBC, Lang 36; Burnin' wood in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.
  • henapplehenapple Posts: 15,973
    @Mickey. ..do you turbo everything?
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
    henapple said:
    "Minnie, can you please get me a cup of coffee?  Turbo!"
  • Austin, TX
  • ShiffShiff Posts: 1,696
    Lit said:

Are these the good beef ribs or bad ones? I did beef ribs once and they were nasty and I havent tried them again since so I'm hoping these are the right ones?

What was so nasty about your previous cooks of beef ribs.  Were they the same cut as your picture?  I've cooked back ribs many times and they have always been good - just not very meaty ribs.

This last time at RD I bought Beef Plate Ribs and they were the best ribs I have ever had.  You can see my pictures and instructions at:
    http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1161966/beef-plate-ribs
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • SmokeyPittSmokeyPitt Posts: 9,758
    edited February 2014
    +1 on this method.  They will be great.   Here is another link to the APL recipe:

Like most APL recipes it is pretty long, but I just follow the basic technique.  Here is the cliff notes version I use:
    - Splash on some Lea and Perrins
    -Hit em with your favorite beef rub (I used the Kirkland signature steak seasoning from Costco)
    -325 indirect for 1:15
    -Wrap with honey, onions, and some liquid (I used the beer I was drinking)
    -325 for another 1:15
    -Unwrap and sauce them for 20-30 minutes. (I used Stubbs).  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

Thanks Smokey think that's what I'm gonna do on 1 rack. @shiff the previous cook just didn't have much meat and what was on the bone was extremely fatty. The last ones I got from Publix and its been awhile I don't really remember what they looked like.
  • You don't have to go to a high IT with back ribs. Think standing rib bones. That said I usually cook to 190*ish

Steve 

Caledon, ON

Ok so they were very good. Cooked to 190 at 300 only took about 2 hours. Thats not how I cooked them in the pic that was right at the end so I could check temp.

They look pretty great!  Glad they came out better this time.
  • henapple said:

That's what she said :x

XLBGE